Outside Hot Wedding And Mm Fondant?

Decorating By cakecreationsbyleah Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm by Win

cakecreationsbyleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecreationsbyleah Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 12

Hello fellow bakers!

I am making a wedding cake this weekend for a very close friend as her wedding gift. It is a 10,8,6 round. Simple WASC, buttercream (bought from bakery supply), and white MM fondant with flower accents and bottom ribbon being the only decor.

I am extremely concerned because it is an outdoor wedding in Oklahoma. Luckily it is at 10am, (probably will get cut into around 11am) It will most definitely be around 90 - 95 degrees around this time. The cake will be placed in a covered area.

What makes it even more tricky is I am a bridesmaid. So, time is a little weird in that case. (Will probably have to give up control of the cake to a family member of the bride to bring right before the wedding)

Any tips for this "new" baker and decorator? I have only been doing it a few years now and do not do it for a business, more a ministry for friends (I do not charge when I accept a cake order)

This will be my first cake that will be displayed outside.

11 replies
rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 12

cakecreationsbyleah:

I am also relatively new to baking and I am interested in the responses as well.

I wanted to compliment you on your term "ministry for friends" and not charging for your cake orders. I had been trying to find the right "term to use" other than saying "I just bake for free for friends and family." Kind of made it sound like they were my charity work - which they are not.

I like your phrase very much! Keep baking and making others happy through your baking ministry!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 12

I always add Dream Whip and meringue powder to my buttercream. It seems to help it set better in the heat. Check out IndyDebi's buttercream recipe. Since you purchased the buttercream already made, I would take four cups and add a packet of Dream Whip then do a "test" by icing the side of a can or really anything you can think of and put it outside in the shade for a couple of hours. Good luck!

cakecreationsbyleah Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMill

I always add Dream Whip and meringue powder to my buttercream. It seems to help it set better in the heat. Check out IndyDebi's buttercream recipe. Since you purchased the buttercream already made, I would take four cups and add a packet of Dream Whip then do a "test" by icing the side of a can or really anything you can think of and put it outside in the shade for a couple of hours. Good luck!

Thank you for the tip! This probably sounds like a silly question, but where can I purchase Dream Whip?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecreationsbyleah

Hello fellow bakers!

I am making a wedding cake this weekend for a very close friend as her wedding gift. It is a 10,8,6 round. Simple WASC, buttercream (bought from bakery supply), and white MM fondant with flower accents and bottom ribbon being the only decor.

I am extremely concerned because it is an outdoor wedding in Oklahoma. Luckily it is at 10am, (probably will get cut into around 11am) It will most definitely be around 90 - 95 degrees around this time. The cake will be placed in a covered area.

What makes it even more tricky is I am a bridesmaid. So, time is a little weird in that case. (Will probably have to give up control of the cake to a family member of the bride to bring right before the wedding)

Any tips for this "new" baker and decorator? I have only been doing it a few years now and do not do it for a business, more a ministry for friends (I do not charge when I accept a cake order)

This will be my first cake that will be displayed outside.

You are not using ingredients that spoil in heat, so basically you are okay in terms of the cake's preservation. I would say that your best alternative would be to keep it in a cool spot such as an air conditioned room near the vent until time for the reception --reading between the lines and am assuming the wedding and reception are in the same place. Surely the bride has an area in which she is preparing... ??? If not, then you will simply have to set up and it is what it is.

Make sure you don't use your buttercream too thick under the fondant so you won't have issues with sagging, and I personally would not use MMF. I use Satin Ice in heat (which does cost more, but is a sturdy fondant.)

Good luck! You are a good friend and no matter how things turn out, your gift is gracious and from the heart! Rare to find these days.

cakecreationsbyleah Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 12

Win - Thank you so much! Those tips really help. I am going to go purchase satin ice fondant today from a local bakery supply store. I have only worked with MMF in the past, is there anything I may need to know before working with Satin Ice as opposed to MMF?

Win Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:

Win - Thank you so much! Those tips really help. I am going to go purchase fondant today from a local bakery supply store. I have only worked with MMF in the past, is there anything I may need to know before working with as opposed to MMF?

Once you knead and roll out Satin Ice, be prepared to lay it on the cake right away. It becomes very firm. MMF will stay workable longer. You have plenty of time to smooth it, etc., so don't panic. It is just a stiffer fondant than MMF. I think you will really like using it. Also, if you mist the cake prior to laying on the fondant, or chill it for about ten mins, it will adhere nicely to the cake. A bit of moisture on the buttercream helps catch the fondant and create a good seal.

thumbs_up.gif

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 12

You should find Dream Whip in the grocery store in the same isle as the jello pudding and cake mixes.

cakecreationsbyleah Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 12

That is great! So, here is my plan:

I am going to add a package of the miracle whip to my buttercream
crumb coat only
cover with Satin Ice fondant

Hopefully won't get the cake to the venue until right before the wedding and the rest is up to the mercy of the heat!

Thank you all so much!

Win Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:

That is great! So, here is my plan:

I am going to add a package of the miracle whip to my buttercream
crumb coat only
cover with fondant

Hopefully won't get the cake to the venue until right before the wedding and the rest is up to the mercy of the heat!

Thank you all so much!

Careful! NOT Miracle Whip, Dream Whip, and personally, I would not add that, or if you did only about 3TBS. Your bakery supply buttercream should be stable enough without adding the Dream Whip. It could make your bc grainy. It's fine to use if you are starting from scratch as in Indydebi's recipe, but even then I don't use the amount she calls for as I find it makes the bc grainy if not beaten and beaten hard for a good length of time.

cakecreationsbyleah Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 12

okay! I am laughing hysterically since I put "miracle" whip. hahaha.

Yeah, my hope was that the bakery supply buttercream would be stable enough (at least the best it can be) for the heat.

I may add just a bit, but will definitely be very careful

Win Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

okay! I am laughing hysterically since I put "miracle" whip. hahaha.

Yeah, my hope was that the bakery supply buttercream would be stable enough (at least the best it can be) for the heat.

I may add just a bit, but will definitely be very careful

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%