Sailboat Cake!

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 8:36pm by jennajane

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:22am
post #1 of 6

I am wanting to make a 3d sail boat cake, and I want the sails to be edible. Its a baby shower cake, so more whimsical than real...How could I make the sails? I thought about making them from gumpaste and letting them dry, but how would I attach them to the cake! I can't wait to hear some answers after seeing all the adorable cakes during my search!

5 replies
EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:50am
post #2 of 6

I've never made sails before but I would make them from gum paste and stick kebob skewers through the gum paste then let the sails dry for about a week before putting into the cake. If the sails need to be thinner or you have difficulty sticking the kebob skewers through the gum paste (I have had trouble in the past) you could place the skewers onto the back of the sails and place a thin piece of gum paste over the kebob skewers and attach with some water or gum glue and let dry for a week. HTH Good Luck!

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:17am
post #3 of 6

This is a sailboat cake I made.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150230818731282&set=a.409203166281.209015.112586601281&type=1&theater

The sail was gumpaste dried and then I stuck a skewer to the back secured with gumpaste. I never have luck sticking skewers into thin pieces of gumpaste so i always stick the skewers to the back!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks ya'll! I think what I am going to do is to make one large triangle, attach a skewer to the back as the center post, and cover the "hump" in the middle with a brown piece of gumpaste to make it look like the pole! Then the one large triangle looks like two...does that make sense lol?

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 6

I made one, you can see it in my photos. I used gumpaste and inserted kabobs sticks (cutted) at the bottom of the boat. HTH

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 6

I also went the gumpaste route. I let them dry on a curved surface and put them on skewers I painted with chocolate. I attached the sails to the skewers with royal icing.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1958101

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%