Working With Fondant - Some Questions

Decorating By augurey Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 3:38am by miasmom82

augurey Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:12am
post #1 of 6

I've always been incredibly intimidated by fondant.

Though more recently I've been working with it a little more -- though only figurines and what not. Just mild decorations.

The thought of trying to cover a cake in fondant has always made me feel defeated, but I'm feeling ready to give covering a cake with fondant a try. In fact, I'm actually very excited now to give this a try.

Before I do this, I have some questions.

How big do you want to roll out your fondant? Obviously it needs to be able to go over your cake and cover the sides. I know the excess gets cut off, but is there a general rule of thumb as far as if it needs to cover x size cake, it should be x big?

Also, is there a standard in thickness? I know it should be thin, but is there a typical thickness?

For fondant covered tiered cakes -- How do dowel rods work on these? I can see how it'd be fine for the first couple layers (I'm assuming you put the dowels in before you cover the fondant? Even if not, they'd be covered by the next tier). What I can't picture is the dowel that goes through all layers. It seems that you either have a hole in the top (how can you patch it up? Unless covering it with a topper or other decorations). And if you would do this before adding the top layer, it seems it would be difficult to cover in fondant after layered...

The first two inquiries I'm sure I'll eventually get on my own after doing it again and again, but that third... I guess that's where I'm most confused as I just really can't imagine either way.

There's so much I'm anxious and ready to try, but I'm just having some mental blocks on some of these things.

5 replies
sparkle25 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:41am
post #2 of 6

Here's a link for how to cover a cake with fondant.

As for size to roll it out this is the formula I use:
height x 2 + top diameter (eg. for a 8 inch across by 4 inch high = 4x2 + 8 = 16 inches of fondant.

To dowel and stake your tiers, here is a link:

Most people cover their cakes with fondant first and then doweling and stacking them, I've never heard of anyone doing it the other way, though I am sure it could still work somehow. Yes, there is always a hole in the top due to the long dowel through the top of the cake, but I always just cover over it with decorations or a topper. I've heard of some people that don't do the final long dowel, but I think it is just too risky, especially if you have to transport the cake anywhere.

Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

ChRiStY_71 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 6

Don't be afraid! It is not as hard to do as you think it just need to be prepared! I covered my first fondant cake (1/2 sheet cake) a couple of weeks ago. I have Sharon Zambito's DVDs and I bought the Mat and watched Sweet Wise's Mat tutorial on youtube. I was amazed at how well the methods that I learned worked! I am now "Hooked on Fondant"! icon_smile.gif

miasmom82 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:13am
post #4 of 6

I am just starting use use it too. I am going to do a purple cake. Do I have to tint it pink first so my purple doesn't fade?

sparkle25 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:27am
post #5 of 6
Originally Posted by miasmom82

I am just starting use use it too. I am going to do a purple cake. Do I have to tint it pink first so my purple doesn't fade?

I've made purple fondant cakes before, and have never had them fade. I just use regular purple gel food coloring (Wilton) and it turns out fine.

miasmom82 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:38am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%