Selling At Market, Packaging Question

Baking By nanefy Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 10:39am by Dayti

nanefy Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:26am
post #1 of 3

Hey,

So I am going to start selling cupcakes at a market locally and I am having a nightmare of a time trying to figure out how to price and package these.

Pricing I 'think' I've sussed, I'm going for the old Millies Cookies style of pricing where it's better for the customer to buy more cupcakes to save more money i.e. you go for one cupcake and leave with 12!!! lol. Anyway I don't want to spend a ton on packaging that will end up really eating into my profits, but I have boxes for 12 cupcakes and I intend on buying boxes for 4 cupcakes, but for all those awkward people who want to buy 1, 3's, 5's etc, I'm not sure what to do.
Should I make it so that you can only buy 4's, 8's and 12's or what? Even the gusseted bags are quite expensive (in comparison to the price of a cupcake) which is fine if they are buying 3's or 5's or 7's, but if someone is buying 1 or 2 cupcakes I'm at a loss as to how to give it to the customer without just handing them the cupcakes as is. Some customers will be fine taking them sans the packaging, but for one cupcake, I can't justify packaging, so what do I do?
My problem with pricey packaging is that the packaging needs to be good enough that it doesn't just smoosh the cupcake when you put it in, so normal baggies are no good, but then the gusseted bags are too expensive.

Oh anyway, I am slavering now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Cupcations Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:12am
post #2 of 3

I would go with the clam shell containers IMO they are cheaper (at least here they are), whereas to number selling I suggest you sell only based on the containers you have that is 4 or 12

The following thread gives an awesome idea on storing one cupcake at a time if you have these cups where you live then you can sell them as ones also

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-720497.html

HTH

Dayti Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:39am
post #3 of 3

You could try these: http://www.cardcuts.co.uk/index.php?cat=Pods

I really want some but delivery to where I am is ridiculous. I imagine it would be much cheaper for you. Price per pod works out better the more you order....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%