What Do The People On Tv Use For Gold Paint?!?!?

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 11:48pm by forheavenscake

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 13

Ok. . it's driving me nuts! On all the cake shows they use such beautiful gold and silver paints. . they actually look like gold and silver!

I have googled and can't find ANYTHING that looks like what they use.

I bought some Gold and Silver paint from my cake supply store and the stuff is AWFUL! It paints very unevenly and it doesn't even look like gold or silver.

If someone knows, can you tell me specifically what it is they use to get that awesome color?? That way I can find it online somewhere!

Thanks so much!

12 replies
imakecake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecake17 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 13

You can use pearl dust in gold or silver mixed with some clear alochol (like vodka or clear vanilla extract), then paint with that. I've done it before and it comes out nice. I think you just have to be careful using this for painting royal icing because if you make it too wet, it can dissolve a little. Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

forheavenscake Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks. . .I've not tried the luster dust because I just didn't think that was actually what they were using. .. it looked so solid and pretty. . but maybe I"m wrong.

I will buy some and play around with it. Thanks!! =)

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 13

No luster dust is NOT what you want. I use CK highlighting powder and actual 24 ground gold. Unfortunately the only link I know to send you roght to, this site blocks. icon_sad.gif

AnotherCaker Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 13

http://baking-supplies.kitchenkrafts.com/kitchen/Gold%20Powder THIS is it right here, the exact brand and bottle.

KatieKraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKraft Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 13

We use a liquid shimmer airbrush color, but of course that requires you also have an airbrush machine. It coats nicely and has a great sheen.

lorenaortegarox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorenaortegarox Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 13

i use duff's gold airbrush color.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 13

I use amerimist airbrush color, applied with a paintbrush.

forheavenscake Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 13

AHH!!! thank you SO much. . .this has seriously been irking me!!!

Now. . .off to find someone who needs a gold accented cake. LOL

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:42pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCaker

http://baking-supplies.kitchenkrafts.com/kitchen/Gold%20Powder THIS is it right here, the exact brand and bottle.

? It says in the description from your link it's luster dust - but you say DON'T use luster dust? Just asking for clarification.

Jen

AnotherCaker Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:44pm
post #11 of 13

I don't call it luster dust, if it says it on there, then fine. But typical luster dust will not give you the results like the photo I showed you. icon_smile.gif

AnotherCaker Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 13

Oh, not you FS, I sent the OP a pic of what the Ck stuff does, which just will not happen with anything other than that stuff. It's like beautiful molten thick gold when you add vodka to it....it's so pretty.

forheavenscake Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 13

The Amerimist airbrush color looks perfect! I never thought about just painting with airbrush colors even if I don't have a machine. I may just try this and not a bad price at $4 on amazon!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%