Quilting???

Decorating By JessicaN Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 4:19pm by JessicaN

JessicaN Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 8

So I do not have a 3 diamond cutter, I do have the embosser/cutter tool with the wheel that can be changed.

I swear I once saw a tutorial that had a women showing how to make a templet with wax paper before she used her hand tool to quilt the fondant. Now of course that I would like to do it I can not find the tutorial! ANYWHERE!! =(

I will be covering my cake Friday or Saturday night...so I can buy the 3 diamond tool if I have to... but it would be nice to use the tools I have!

Does anyone had any suggestions on how to do this, any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated since I have never done this before!

Thanks!

7 replies
cake_architect Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:

such a cool idea! i wish i would've seen this before i bought my mat lol!

lorenaortegarox Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 8

i bought an impression mat that helped but dogluvr's advice is brilliant!

maitej17 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 8

I bought a small impression mat and I use the wilton rolling tool to make it more defined after using the mat. I am "straight line deficient" and would never try it w/out my mat first. I've only used the technique once (baby shower pillow cake) but LOVED it and looking for excuses to use it again.

JessicaN Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 8

WOW! Thank you! Although I do not have the supplies to make this... I was thinking to myself if I could just find a template maybe I could wing it... and ask and you shall receive! Thank you thank you thank you!

Funny I think of what I do with my cakes as art...but any other area I am soooooooooo not artistic!

I can't wait to post pics of how it turns out!

brown_suga Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:16am
post #7 of 8

A right angle ruler should do the trick. One that looks likes this...

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/255573734/right_angle_ruler_3059.jpg

I like the taller version of the two shown. You use the slanted side to make you pattern, it will give you perfectly straight lines every time. You can also make a template out of card stock of the same shape and use that. But I prefer the ruler because you can use the bottom part to mark exactly how many inches apart you'd like your lines. Mark it all the way around the cake with a toothpick, place the slanted side at each marker and "draw" your lines, then flip the ruler over to the other side and do the exact same thing going around your cake inn the opposite direction.
I prefer this method to the diamond cutter or impression mat because I'm able to control the size of the diamond, this way the pattern always meets up evenly in the back of the cake. You can also use it to get perfect crisp edges on square cakes and so much more! I love a multi functional cake tool. It should cost you less than 5 bucks where ever you can find school supplies.

JessicaN Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 8

That seems like the kind of method I would use... and it seems like it shouldn't be too hard for me! I have 4 cakes due this weekend! 4!!! And they will only be my 6th,7th,8th,9th cakes ever! And I have never done the quilting and I'm a little nervous... but I think this is a great tip... I appreciate everyone for thier input and helpful hints!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%