Cupcakes Tasting "different"

Baking By cakesmart Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 11:58pm by LindaF144a

cakesmart Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 9

I provided a sample RV cake to a group of attorneys. They loved the cake, and asked me to provide the cakes for an annual event. They originally wanted a tiered cake, but changed to cupcakes. The order was for 260 cupcakes - RV, carrot, chocolate, strawberry, yellow.

Here's the thing...they provided feedback and said the RV cupcakes were good, but tasted "different" from the sample cake. I used the same recipe (Cakeman Raven's), same brands for the ingredients, but reduced the baking time accordingly (tested at 12 minutes, removed at 15). Any ideas that may cause the cupcake to not be the same as the cake? Could it be texture maybe?

8 replies
matthewkyrankelly Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 9

Really not sure here - I have a go to vanilla cake recipe that I will not make cupcakes from. It bakes up great in a pan, but shrinks in a cupcake liner and seems 'different'.

Thinking about it, maybe I could lower the heat a little and try it, but who knows. Did you try them? Was it different?

divinecc Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 9

Did you bake a cake or a cupcake for sampling???? Some of my recipes taste different as cake than cupcakes....maybe that's it?????

LindaF144a Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 9

Not all cake recipes can be baked as cupcakes, unlike popular consensus. There is a discussion about this somewhere on CC, can't remember where. But generally people have been finding this out. I had same problem too and had to formulate my own recipes.

LisaPeps Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 9

Were all your ingredients in date? Thinking along the lines of baking soda or the vinegar... something you don't use that often in baking but would make a difference.

cakesmart Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all the thoughts. I reviewed lots of recipes for RV cupcakes and they all seemed to line up with the one I used. I tasted the batter and it was exactly the same. The vinegar was the only ingredient that was reused. Maybe the vinegar needed replacing.

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 9

Were the R cupcakes stored with any of the other flavors? Maybe they picked up a hint of another flavor and changed the over all taste?

Sangriacupcake Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Not all cake recipes can be baked as cupcakes, unlike popular consensus. There is a discussion about this somewhere on CC, can't remember where. But generally people have been finding this out. I had same problem too and had to formulate my own recipes.

I didn't know that. But I guess it makes sense...different baking time means the flavors have less time to develop during baking (?)

LindaF144a Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 9

No, it is not different baking times, but rather something that makes it where they don't bake the same. This results in a cupcake that can be conceived as dry or it can be dry. It just depends on the recipe.
But a dry cupcake does taste different than a moist cupcake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%