Fondant Cake Outside In The Heat

Decorating By sweetbrantleys Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 6:28pm by sweetbrantleys

sweetbrantleys Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a cake for a kids party this weekend and it's going to be in the 90's outside at a park. Do you think it's better to use ganache under the fondant or swiss meringue buttercream? I'v actually never used ganache to mask a cake, I don't want to regret it. Which will hold up to heat better? I'm nervous about things starting to sag!

thank you

6 replies
cakegirl1973 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 7

Both ganache and SMBC will not do well in the heat. Try a shortening based bc, like the PP suggested.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl1973

Both ganache and SMBC will not do well in the heat. Try a shortening based bc, like the PP suggested.

Ummm, Australians use ganache under their fondant all the time - it's not exactly cool there! I also use ganache and it's all about the amount of choc in the recipe. I use white chocolate because I prefer the pale colour. I use 500ml of heavy cream to at least 1.5kg of white chocolate (in really hot weather, I bump this up to 1.75kg of chocolate). You must make this by weight and not by 'cups', or your correct ratios will be off.

sweetbrantleys Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for the responses and for the recipe. One question.. what is dream whip??? never heard of this.

sweettreat101 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 7

It comes in a box usually displayed above the puddings and pie fillings in the stores. It's little envelopes of powered product that you add to cakes and pies. It used to be really popular about twenty years ago. Go to amazon and type in dream whip and it will give you a picture and some info.

sweetbrantleys Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 7

thank you again sweettreat!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%