Seashells On A Wedding Cake...

Decorating By DRAGONFLY7935 Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 4:44pm by Sara_Bee

DRAGONFLY7935 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DRAGONFLY7935 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it's ok to use real seashells (cleaned and sterilized of course) on a wedding cake?
It's for a family member and I will be at the reception cutting the cake for them...not getting paid to make this for a stranger so no worries on getting sued if anyone bites into one! icon_razz.gif

5 replies
malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 6

I don't see any problem if they're properly cleaned. People eat raw seafood that comes out of them right??

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 6

But chocolate seashells are quite realistic and yummy!

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 6

I made a beach theme wedding cake last month and used white chocolate shells brushed with pearl dust and they looked and tasted great. So I agree with leah_s on this one and go with the chocolate. That way you don't have to worry about any problems that could arise from using the real ones.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 6

icon_surprised.gif I wouldn't - not only because of the cleanliness side of things - but i know a family member who is highly allergic to not only seafood but the shells they live/lived in.
Its all in the dyes of the creatures - and shells

An allergy is an allergy - and allergies can and are fatal.
Just the same as many fresh flowers can be fatal.

Can you not make them out of fondant?

There could be more than a chipped tooth at stake. icon_sad.gif

Bluehue

Sara_Bee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara_Bee Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 6

I would go with the chocolate. I made seashells out of swirled white chocolate and they turned out really cute. You can adjust the colors to match the wedding's colors. There's a photo in my profile if you're interested!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%