How Long Can I Keep A Fondant Covered Cake In The Fridge?

Decorating By mskavon Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 4:15pm by mskavon

mskavon Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 6

Good morning everyone. I have FOUR cakes due this week and i wanted to start covering them in fondant. If i cover them today (Tuesday) will they be ok until Friday and Saturday in the fridge?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Norasmom Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 6

I know that a buttercream cake would be okay in the fridge, but many have said that fondant sweats once it comes out of the refigerator, so I wouldn't do the fondant until the day the cake is due.

WAYLO1 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 6

you could cover them tomorrow and just leave them on a counter or something. They will be just great for saturday. when i have a couple of cakes due for the weekend i start on wednesday and finish by thursday and have them sit on the island. every one says they are so moist and delicious so i think it worksicon_wink.gif i would not put them in the fridge. I did that once and it drooped and sweated for sure.

mskavon Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 6

I'll get to covering tomorrow icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 6

1. there's no reason, other than having used a perishable filling, to put a cake in the fridge.
2. if you have used a perishable filling, you must also inform your customer so that s/he will know the cake has to be refrigerated.
3. once cut, a refrigerated cake will dry out fast. it's a relative humidity thing inside the refrigerator.

Are these multi-tiered cakes?

I always have cakes finished the day/night prior to pickup/delivery so that I have time to fix things. But not days before - the day before.

mskavon Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

1. there's no reason, other than having used a perishable filling, to put a cake in the fridge.
2. if you have used a perishable filling, you must also inform your customer so that s/he will know the cake has to be refrigerated.
3. once cut, a refrigerated cake will dry out fast. it's a relative humidity thing inside the refrigerator.

Are these multi-tiered cakes?

I always have cakes finished the day/night prior to pickup/delivery so that I have time to fix things. But not days before - the day before.

So far, everything is baked and wrapped in cling wrap. I'm hoping to cover in fondant beginning tomorrow. Two are multi-tiered. One is a purse cake and the other is just a square cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%