Slow Times?

Business By ambarnha Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 12:49am by mombabytiger

ambarnha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambarnha Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:09am
post #1 of 11

HI I have had my buisness for about 5 months and it seems to be slower rigt now. I wanted to ask all of you what are the slow times of the year and the busy times?

10 replies
Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:58am
post #2 of 11

Really, I think it all depends on where you are located. Not everyone will have the same slow and busy times as someone else.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 5:23am
post #3 of 11

My slowest months are the first two or three months of the new year. People spent their money during the holidays, so a pricey cake isn't usually in their budgets. I was lucky this year that I had a couple wedding cakes during that time to supplement the lull. Hang in there-use this down time to market your business to prospective referrals sources, if possible. Good luck!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 5:47am
post #4 of 11

I think things are slower now bc people are getting ready for vacation.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:20am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl1973

My slowest months are the first two or three months of the new year. People spent their money during the holidays, so a pricey cake isn't usually in their budgets. I was lucky this year that I had a couple wedding cakes during that time to supplement the lull. Hang in there-use this down time to market your business to prospective referrals sources, if possible. Good luck!

Also after eating all the holiday goodies people are trying to stick to their new years resolutions (but you know how long those lasts icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 11

I guess it depends on what you mean by slow. Busy with already booked orders but dead in the water for consultations.

I am swamped right now with my summer wedding orders. I work out of my home (legal). I max at 2 weddings per weekend (I work full time too). From the April - September I am booked solid. Then things slow down a bit and I only have about 3-4 weddings per month - until January when it just dies. But I live in NE Ohio and it snows so much from January - March which can ruin a wedding (no guests, vendors, accidents...).

I get really busy with consultations in October for weddings for the following summber. Usually from October - February I have 2-3 consultations a week (I will only schudule a max of 3 per week).

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 11

We don't really have slow times, we're pretty much consistently booked 2-4 weeks in advance...most of our business is birthday cakes, and people have birthdays year-round.

Camille161 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Camille161 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 11

We are super slow every since school got out. We still have a few cake orders every week but the cupcakes sales have dropped off significantly. We have been open since January 2011. I didn't realize how much business we got from the school but we are making about 1/4 of what we made during the school year. If we can just make it through the summer I think we will be ok.

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 11

Always take advantage of slow times - rest and research!

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 11

make yourself busy with whatever you couldn't get done prior to the slow period.
organizing supplies, painting (improving ther looks of your place of business)
assess costs, see if pricing is good for your neck of the woods for comparable items.
use it constructively to take it up a notch, take classes (or give classes)
good luck, with good word of mouth you'll be busy in no time.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:49am
post #11 of 11

Use your slow times to build your customer base and contacts. Research companies in your area, find out who makes the buying decisions for corporate events, and do a sales presentation. Make sure your name, your business card and your collateral material are in the right hands at every business in town. Business don't have slow times, generally. They also have meetings and lunches. Let them know that your products should be included.

I think when you sit and wait for people to come to you, you are missing out on the awesome satisfaction of going out and making things happen for your business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%