Dessert Tables

Decorating By saberger Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 1:46am by DebraJ

saberger Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:42am
post #1 of 6

With the latest trend really showing off dessert tables, I was wondering if any of you offer them and how you figure out the amount of food you would need. I know my basic pricing for everything, but not sure on the amount of food needed! icon_confused.gif Any other advice? TIA

5 replies
Stephy42088 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:58am
post #2 of 6

I do dessert tables for mini desserts and reccommend 2-4 mini desserts/person. I usually reccommend more mini cupcakes and cake pops than anything else because those seem to go the quickest. other options include mini pies, mini cheesecakes, cookies, mini shot glasses, etc etc. Iprice each mini dessert option individually so I don't price/person but its based on what desserts they order and the quantity

saberger Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:38am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the info. Do you make everything or outsource any of it? I am comfortable with the pops, chocolates, cupcakes, cookies, and cakes...but not pies, etc. Do I need to be able to offer those?

cai0311 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 6

I made a dessert table for a good friend's baby shower. There was cake, mini cupcakes, rice crispy treats, sugar cookies and chocolate sugar cookies. I purchased candy, little plastic bags and stickers to close the bags for the guests to fill and take home. Candy included chocolate malt balls, jelly bellys (2 different flavors) and watermellow salt water taffy. I had a ton of candy left over but the desserts were gone in a matter of seconds.

I estimated 3 desserts per person plus candy. I discovered people are pigs. Each person averaged taking 5 desserts. Thankfully the older people there didn't want anything except cake so I don't think anyone that wanted something other than cake went without.

I always wondered how people like Amy Atlas figure # of desserts person, how the plates are refilled (does someone from her staff stay at the party to do this?), where the extra food is kept... She is coming out with a book. I hope it address this and not just recipes.

saberger Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 6

Anyone else with Dessert Table experience? I just asked a caterer how many they figure on and they said 8-10 per person! That seems like an awful lot - but what do I know?!?!

DebraJ Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:46am
post #6 of 6

What you should have beforehand is a list of what desserts you can do priced per person. Let them tell you that they want more cake balls than cupcakes or whatever else you have on your custom designed dessert tables price list. Do minimums as well because you don't want to make anything that would be less than half of one of your recipes. When you give people a list of choices and prices, they will order more than you think. Giving them the list also shows them that you're a professional. They can take the list home and think about what they want or talk it over with someone else. Give them a deadline to get back to you, and collect all of your money in advance.

Dessert tables give you the opportunity to show off your culinary skills. Use it also to expand your horizons. There are so many dessert tables online now, you can come up with a ton of ideas. Practice things you've never done before so that you're up to speed when you get a request for that dessert.

Also, you don't have to do everything yourself. Some of the warehouse clubs have amazing desserts. Pies can be made into tarts to make it easier to serve. Use miniature cupcake pans to make them easy to add different filling. Have fun, and the dessert table will be fabulous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%