Would This Work For A White Cake?

Baking By Julisa Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 7:24am by auzzi

Julisa Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 5

I have a stipidish question. I don't consider myself a baker, just a cake decoratior. I make a chocolate cake from scratch off of the Hershey cocoa can. I have always had good results. I have not been able to find a white scratch recipe. I was wondering what would happen if I made the same recipe from the cocoa can only omitted the cocoa? Would I have to replace the cocoa with more flower and sugar or would it not work at all? I know nothing about "inventing or concocting" my own baking recipies. Has anyone tried this or does anyone have any feedback on this?

Thanks in advance for tolerating my stupidish question.

4 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 5

Depending on the amount of cocoa, you would have to replace it with flour, I would think.

But it takes lots of practice to start messing up with recipes and be successful.

I haven't tried this white cake yet, but it's supposedly Ron Ben Israel's recipe for white cake. Maybe you could make a small cake and try it.

cabecakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 5

Have you ever tried a doctored cake mix. It's super easy. Sift 1 Duncan Hines cake mix with 1 large box of pudding (I use white chocolate), 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. In a separate bowl combine the required eggs from the mix plus one egg, 1 cup sour cream, and the required vegetable oil. Combine the liquid ingredients into the dry mixing just until silky. Bake at 325 degrees until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs on it.

Julisa Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:04am
post #4 of 5

I have tried and always use the doctored cake mix for every flavor except chocolate and carrot cake. They do work well. I just really want to be able to make a good white cake from schratch. I will try Ron's and see how it turns out. Thanks for the help

Quote by @%username% on %date%