How Do I Get The Fondant Dark Enough?

Decorating By TalMay Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm by grandmomof1

TalMay Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I'm new here.
I've been baking/decoration cakes for almost 3 years.
But I have always had trouble with coloring fondant black.
So I started to PAINT IT BLACK. Yes, with gel coloring/ lemon juice mixture.

But I hated the outcome. its, sticky, shiny and just blehk! (ew!)
Using just the gel makes the fondant dark gray and super sticky, so I'd add more sugar and more color and more sugar, then its all dried and cracking.

So, does anyone have the secret to smooth, non-sticky, gorgeous, flexible black fondant?
I make my own fondant, dont wanna spend $$ on nasty tasting playdoh. icon_smile.gif

What about the "cake grafitti" paint, has anyone dried it? Or is there some other form of coloring that'd work?

I need it to make (drumroll please) an XBOX 360 SLIM and BLACK...yippeee
Also, has anyone made an XBOX on here before? And have any tips tp share? Thanks so MUCH! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
lorenaortegarox Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 8

i airbrush mine black! works everytime!

bakingatthebeach Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 8

I add a little cocoa powder to mine turning it brown (it doesnt take alot) then I color it black.

Pagea Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalMay

Hi, I'm new here.
So, does anyone have the secret to smooth, non-sticky, gorgeous, flexible black fondant?
I make my own fondant, dont wanna spend $$ on nasty tasting playdoh. icon_smile.gif

What about the "cake grafitti" paint, has anyone dried it? Or is there some other form of coloring that'd work?

If you make your own fondant...you may want to try adding color during the time you are adding/cooking your ingredients (hope that makes sense icon_smile.gif ). I have done this with colors I needed to be dark/deep .. and it has worked well for me.

As for cake graffiti paint/spray (by Duff?)..I've only used the silver and it was not a favorable experience at all. HTH

Good Luck!
Page

TalMay Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone, I guess I have some experimenting to do icon_smile.gif I'll post back with the results..

leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 8

I buy black and IMO, SatinIce tastes GOOD!

ame120103 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 8

Are you using wilton or americolor colors? I had horrible results with wilton no matter what but as long as I color my black fondant at least a day before I need it with my americolors superblack it turns out perfect everytime with nothing extra added. Good luck on the xbox I haven't done one of those so no advise there.

grandmomof1 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 8

I use Americolor gel and Candy Craft powder. The powder helps get it black and not cause it to break down like using a lot of gel does, but with the powder you definitely have to make it a day or two before you need it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%