Idea Needed For Cake Decorating Class - Last 2 Classes!

Decorating By Giggggles Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 2:48pm by sewsugarqueen

Giggggles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Giggggles Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

I've been attended a cake decorating class, which lasts for 10 weeks.
In weeks 9 and 10, we are to decorate a cake and we have to come up with an idea.

We have been learning the basics of royal icing (shells & lettering) - which I'm rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrubbish at, but know that practise makes perfect.

We've also worked with sugar paste - animals, teddies, penguins, cutting out of flowers, hearts, etc.

We have also worked on making roses from sugar paste and last week we did bas-relief work, again with sugar paste.

This week we are being taught how to cover a cake (yikes) - with jam/sugarpaste, how to cover it correctly, smooth it down, etc.

So........ as you can see, I really am a new-newbie!!!

So, any ideas would be welcomed with open-royal-icing-covered-arms!!!

Many thanks
Giggles xx

icon_biggrin.gif

ps, any tips of how to get to grips with royal icing would also be appreciated..hahahaha. I'm great with any that is spelt V M Y T I!!!!

icon_lol.gif

1 reply
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 2

Just a note on your royal icing problem... is your royal icing thick enough when you do borders and thin enough when you write???? I put a clear plastic over lined paper to practice ... see if that helps.

Ideas what are your best methods so far? modeling fondant/gumpaste , freehand design, Why not choose your favourite colours to frost and put simple border. Then cut out or shape designs to put on cake. Use geometric, flower, or theme. Is this a class you are getting marked on?? for school?? or personal improvement. If it's personal then so go have fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%