Mayo Or Sour Cream In Cake?

Baking By Alycat613 Updated 5 Jul 2013 , 1:00am by linnod

Alycat613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycat613 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 18

I got a suggestion to put mayo or sour cream in my cakes to make them moist. Is this true you can do this? Does it taste any different? How do you do this? Is there a different amount if you make cake from scratch or use a box mix? Thanks for any help!

17 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 18

Yes you can use up to 1/2 cup of either. Why not try my *original* WASC recipe for a moist, wonderful tasting cake? http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 18

I use sour cream in my cake. Check out the WASC recipe in the recipe section. It calls for sour cream--a VERY popular recipe here. Don't know about mayo.

libandtuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libandtuck Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 18

In my experience, real mayonnaise dries out a cake, however if you use salad dressing ( miracle whip) that does the trick. They make something most people call a mayonnaise cake, it was my mother-in-law's specialty, however the recipe always called for miracle whip not actually mayonnaise. And yes, there is a BIG difference in the two when you make a cake. The sour cream does the trick to. Another way to make a cake really moist is to switch the oil out and use applesauce instead. Makes a cake super moist and is something I do all the time. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 18

Sour cream is a staple for most of my cakes...never tried mayo.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 18

I use Sour cream all the time in for my 3D cakes.I use the durable chocolate cake recipe here which calls for SC..Excellent!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 18

I use sour cream also! thumbs_up.gif

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 18

Sour cream most of the time. I've made the chocolate mayonnaise (not miracle whip) cake off and on over the years, scratch and box versions and they're always well liked by family and friends. I don't think I'd use mayonnaise in a customer cake though.

chelseacircle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseacircle Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 18

Sour cream works well. Do not be concern about the sour cream taste if you know people don't like it. I have made this for many family members who don't like sour cream. I never told them. They ranted and raved about how moist all my cakes are. I have now become the official cake baker and been told that I need a bakery. LOL

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 18

Would you always have to add extra sugar as in the WASC cake or would it taste just as good if you just added sour cream to a regular cake batter (not WASC recipe)?

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 18

All of my cakes have either sour cream or yogurt, depending on the flavor - makes it YUMMY!

Karen

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 18

I have a chocolate cake recipe that contains mayo and it is the best chocolate cake I have ever had - very moist! It's from the Sky High baking book:
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/sky-high-triple-chocolate-fudge-cake/
I omit the cinnamon though as I don't like the taste of it in this cake!

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 18

I've used both. Sour cream sometimes (if too much) tends to make a cake gummy, so you have to be careful. I always use mayo in my chocolate cake. No offense to the other poster, but I don't agree that mayo will dry out a cake, after all, mayo is made from oil and eggs.

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:50pm
post #14 of 18

I have used sour cream in my cakes, and in a pinch if I'm short a egg or two I have used mayo.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:07pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcakelady

I've used both. Sour cream sometimes (if too much) tends to make a cake gummy, so you have to be careful. I always use mayo in my chocolate cake. No offense to the other poster, but I don't agree that mayo will dry out a cake, after all, mayo is made from oil and eggs.

I totally agree! Mayo seems to especially enhance chocolate cake. (I've also used it in red velvet--we like it with a bit more chocolate than some folks.) The only time it didn't work for me was when I was out of real mayo and used Miracle Whip.

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:10pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiteContrary

Would you always have to add extra sugar as in the WASC cake or would it taste just as good if you just added sour cream to a regular cake batter (not WASC recipe)?

I follow the WASC recipe here on CC adding no extra sugar. Actually since I live in a high altitude I have to lessen the amount of sugar. Everyone raves about the flavor. I always use sour cream; only time I use mayo is in a chocolate cake recipe that calls for it.

amanduhleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amanduhleigh Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:17pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

I have a chocolate cake recipe that contains mayo and it is the best chocolate cake I have ever had - very moist! It's from the Sky High baking book:
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/sky-high-triple-chocolate-fudge-cake/
I omit the cinnamon though as I don't like the taste of it in this cake!

This is the EXACT same chocolate cake recipe I use and I too omit the cinnamon! I found it threw the flavor off a bit. Amazingly moist cake though, and very delicious.

linnod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linnod Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 1:00am
post #18 of 18

Do you still add eggs? Would you share your recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%