Just Add Water Cake Mix

Decorating By Olenmetra Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 1:10pm by Olenmetra

Olenmetra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olenmetra Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 5:39am
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me the best "just add water" cake mix? There are quite a few but I don't want to waste a lot of money trying them. I'd rather have personal references.

6 replies
platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 6:07am
post #2 of 7

I don't know of any just add water mixes... The mixes I've seen ask for eggs, oil & Water Good Luck

n_jean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n_jean Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 6:37am
post #3 of 7

If you are wanting to try cake mixes then I would suggest mixing one can of pop with the mix. Clear soda if it is a white cake mix like Vanilla and pepsi with chocolate cake mix. I've never heard of water alone though. The pop is in substitue of eggs, oil and water.

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 7

i know there are sevral water only mixes you buy in bulk fro sysco or other food services, they are TERRIBLE. no amount of doctoring give these a good taste or texture. and they get hard super fast, i am talking rock hard . we use the water only bases to do display cakes that are carved that we have trouble making out of foam. HTH

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 7

I have some that I get from my local supplier. It only asks for water and oil. I use it when I want to create dummy cakes or practice stuff for sculpting. I know Dawn make some, but I've been working through a 50 lb bag for so long, I can't recall the manufacturer!

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 12:34am
post #6 of 7

I got two free Just Add Water mix at a food show in May. It was HORRIBLE. Dry and crumby. It had no taste. I doctored the 2nd one and it was a waste of pudding and sour cream. Yuck. My advice is to stick to the traditional mixes.

Olenmetra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olenmetra Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 7

Point well taken. The eggs oil and butter is a little expensive for a little business like mine but the substitute is not worth changing my cakes. THX EVERYONE!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%