Home Baker Making Full Sheet Cake-Oh My!

Decorating By lstalder Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 2:44pm by HobbyCaker

lstalder Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:45am
post #1 of 11

I'm a home baker who bought a full sheet cake pan in which I baked a cake in my churches oven. How do people manage these? It was incredibly heavy to lift in and out of stove, took forever to bake, difficult to invert, hard to adjust on the cake board and it barely fits in my freezer. I can't imagine how I am going to torte it. I would love tips from those of you who make these. Thanks

10 replies
sacakesandbakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:04am
post #2 of 11

I torted once and cursed the fact my husband told me to do it. I cut the cake through the middle the best I could. Then I used a cookie flat cookie sheet to slide between the layers and lifted off the top layer. Then slide the cake back on top after filled and frost. It is a heavy cake and hard to manage.

bakingkat Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:06am
post #3 of 11

They are easiest to handle and less likely to break etc if you freeze them for a while. When you go to tort them make sure you have a nice long serrated knife, or use the good old fashioned string trick (that is assuming you don't have an agbay). When you go to lift the torted layer off use a full sheet cake board dusted with powdered sugar and slide that in between the 2 pieces. leave on the board until you are ready to put it back on and it should slide off pretty easily. In the future, I like to bake thin layers instead of torting because it's easier, and takes less time to cook. Also as far as inverting it in the future, put parchment paper over the cake, then the cake board, then an upside down sheet pan. The extra pan gives you more support, and just flip quickly. Since the pan is upside down it is easy to take the cake off when need be. Good luck!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:08am
post #4 of 11

Honestly, for bigger cakes, bake thinner layers. Then you don't have to torte. The layers are thinner and bake faster and easier to deal with ie weigh less.

So, if you bake two one inch layers, fill and frost them, it won't be any different than baking a two inch layer, splitting it, filling it, and frosting it. Except it'll be easier. It will probably be faster with the baking times reduced.

Just watch the cake because it cooks quickly!

srkmilklady Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:10am
post #5 of 11

I took the easy way out and baked 4 - 9 x 13 cakes and positioned them together on the board to make a full sheet (18 x 26). That way I could do different flavors in one cake also. I did 2 in vanilla and the other side of 2 in chocolate. As long as your cakes are level before icing, you don't even know the difference! icon_biggrin.gif

Baker_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 11

I've been doing these for years, and yes, they take practice. The first time I had to torte a full sheet cake I was working in a grocery store bakery. They had the decorator's station up front with a big acrylic viewing area so customers could stand there staring at you.

I had to torte a full sheet in three layers to fill with two different fillings and then frost and decorate. I swear 30 or more people started gathering around on a busy Saturday morning when they saw I was cutting and lifting those layers!!! I did it with great success, but boy was it an adrenaline rush!! My hands were shaking when I was done.

Tami icon_smile.gif

dogluvr Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:03am
post #7 of 11

Wow...I didn't know they made full sheet cake pans...what size would that be....I always use 2 1/2 sheet cakes for a full sheet...2 11 x 15

HobbyCaker Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:31am
post #8 of 11

I bought my full sheet pan about 6 yrs. ago. I agree with Baker_Rose, they do take practice, and yes they take what seems like forever to bake. I use about 6-8 flower nails to help with this.

I recently bought an AGBAY, (Love, love, love it!) It makes torting the full sheet so much easier.

I also use a Pizza peal (Bought it from a Pizza Restaurant) to lift the top part up and then slide a full sheet board in and lift off the top, fill, then using the board I slide the top back on the bottom and viola a torted full sheet, again it takes practice, and yes I had some failures in the beginning but am pretty good at it now.

Good luck with your new pan, and just keep trying different ways until you find one that works for you.

CWR41 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:33am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr

Wow...I didn't know they made full sheet cake pans...what size would that be....I always use 2 1/2 sheet cakes for a full sheet...2 11 x 15

They are for commercial bakery use. Photo of commercial full sheet pan:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=180304&pid=CSE_Froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=111097

I wrote this in another thread... hope it helps:

A commercial Bun pan is 18" x 26" (outside measurement), and because they are tapered for nesting or making them stackable, the inside measurement is 16.5" x 24.5".

A commercial full sheet is 16" x 24". They are baked in 16" x 24" bakeable cardboard trays that fit into the Bun pans (flat surface portion) which are used during baking for support and handling purposes.

A true commercial full sheet (16" x 24") serves 96 (unit wt. 106-124 oz.).

Photo of disposable bakeable cardboard tray:
http://www.newmethodpackaging.com/client_images/catalog19933/pages/images/bakeable_trays/002_disposable_trays_roll_end_lg.jpg

lstalder Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:56am
post #10 of 11

Thanks so much for all of the helpful answers. I have a question for Hobbycaker-you mentioned the pizza peal which I looked up online. What size did you get and does it have one of those long handles?

HobbyCaker Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 11

Just PM'd you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%