Getting Frosting To Stick To Cut Edges

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 5:24am by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:50am
post #1 of 7

Hi there,
How do you get the frosting to stick to cut edges with your making shapes that you need to cut out. I'm sure the sculptors out there know a trick icon_smile.gif Mine just crumbles terribly
thanks for commenting in advance

6 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:06am
post #2 of 7

I had major problems with this today so I hope someone has some good tips. Right now I cringe at the thought of having to go through it again.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:27am
post #3 of 7

You need to use a crumb coat (aka: dirty ice). It helps to thin the icing a bit when doing those cut edges. so I like to melt my b'cream in the MW - only takes a few seconds (of course depends on how much you are doing at a time). I prefere to melt no more than 1/4 cup at a time. Once melted any unused or cooled cannot be used for anything - no it cannot be re-melted again - so go easy - melt small amounts at a time. As I said, only takes 5-10 seconds. You do NOT want to actually 'cook' the icing, just melt it. Then you have to work quickly to spread it on the cake. Put in on the top and let it run down the sides, then spread that. Work in small sections until you have completely covered the whole cake. Now you are ready to put on that final coat of icing and it will stick to the crumb coat.

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #4 of 7

Kakeladi, I'm going to have to try your trick. I've done two cut cakes and hated the fact I agreed to make those cakes in the first place. I'm going to attempt a tool box for my father in laws bday & will be cutting and stacking sheet cakes.Thanks for posting.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:40am
post #5 of 7

I think freezing a little bit helps as well, just to firm the cake up a bit so it makes frosting the cuts, edges, and corners easier to cover without getting all crumbly.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 5:06am
post #6 of 7

Freezing helps, but it takes forever for the icing to crust because the cake is too moist as it comes to room temperature. I thin a couple of cups of icing and crumbcoat with it. This crumbcoat will take longer to crust than my usual consistency icing, but not as long as usual consistency icing on a frozen cake.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 5:24am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for the great advice. Maybe now I won't ruin too much cake or get too frustrated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%