New Wilton Plastic Dowel????

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 8:47pm by HamSquad

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 13

I went to Michaels to buy some plastic dowels and they've changed....they are now longer (12.5in) and skinnier in diameter icon_confused.gif I liked the old ones....short and wide icon_wink.gif I think they provide a wider area of support. Has anyone else noticed this?

12 replies
Cupcakeboy85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeboy85 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 13

Haven't seen them but the old ones took alot of cake!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:11am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

I went to Michaels to buy some plastic dowels and they've changed....they are now longer (12.5in) and skinnier in diameter icon_confused.gif I liked the old ones....short and wide icon_wink.gif I think they provide a wider area of support. Has anyone else noticed this?

I think the plastic dowels are the same. It sounds like you're looking for the hidden pillars: http://www.tcpglobal.com/WILTON/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=WIL+303-8

I don't see them listed on the Wilton website--maybe I didn't look hard enough or maybe they're discontinued--but if you google them, they're still out there.

Rae

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:12am
post #4 of 13

Whew, so glad I bought a ton on em at the tent sale !!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:34am
post #5 of 13

I hope they haven't discontinue them. I was at the tent sale and didn't think to even get any, I was so focused on getting pans that I had been wanting, but couldn't afford like the professional square pans that didn't have the rounded corners. The tent sale for me was like a person with attention def, I was happily overwhelmed with all the stuff on sale I didn't know what to get. icon_lol.gif

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:41am
post #6 of 13

oh sorry Hamsquad, my bad, I must have gotten all the dowels, lol.
I love the Pro pans with the square sides too. Got another set this time. hmmm no wonder I went wayyy over budget.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:32am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

I think the plastic dowels are the same. It sounds like you're looking for the hidden pillars: http://www.tcpglobal.com/WILTON/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=WIL+303-8

I don't see them listed on the Wilton website--maybe I didn't look hard enough or maybe they're discontinued--but if you google them, they're still out there.

Rae

Yep, you're right...those are what I'm used to...but the long skinny dowels I bought I had never seen before. I guess they'll have to do!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:41am
post #8 of 13

The hollow dowels you bought will be fine. They're a bit easier to cut, but check to see which end is more level. Sometimes, you need to trim a bit off of each end to get them to sit straight.

Rae

HamSquad Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:49am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlachef

oh sorry Hamsquad, my bad, I must have gotten all the dowels, lol.
I love the Pro pans with the square sides too. Got another set this time. hmmm no wonder I went wayyy over budget.

Noooo Problem! (LOL) I live near you, I'm in Markham. Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha,! I got more for the money than any other time shopping for cake items. I must go again next year. Had a Blast!

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:12am
post #10 of 13

Love the hidden pillars & they are still available online @ Wilton - $3.19 a package.

Had me scared for a sec when I thought about them being discontinuted!!!!!

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 13

yes, i love the hidden pillars.. they are so good and make the cake so stable that they can be used like the bakery craft sps system. The wilto plates feet fit right into the hidden pillars.. cake is very sturdy with them...

who had a tent sale? Glad I didn't hear about it here.. husband thinks I have too much stuff already ... but it does pay off! He doesn't mind that part of the business.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 13

I've been using the hollow dowels for a few years now and they work really well.

HamSquad Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:47pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

who had a tent sale? Glad I didn't hear about it here.. husband thinks I have too much stuff already ... but it does pay off! He doesn't mind that part of the business.

Wilton is having their tent sale: June 3, to June 21, 2011 in the parking lot of their main office in Woodridge, IL. 50 to 70% off on most items they sale. Didn't see the new product line. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%