Having Problems With My Oven?

Baking By CubanoPete Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 11:23pm by CubanoPete

CubanoPete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CubanoPete Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 3

I have a KitchenAid Electrical Range with Convection Oven. This range is about 5-6 years old.

I have been baking with my convection oven for a while and I get mixed results.

It's really frustrating and I am not sure what is wrong. I can bake without convection, but I don't most of the time. I don't know why I just do.

I have to be really careful baking, because 40% of the time (depending on recipe), the cakes and cupcakes tops are cracked and hard.

I am thinking that oven is just too hot or something. I am using a baking thermometer, so I can confirm the temperature is correct. I have tried reducing the heat by 25-50 degrees, but again mixed results.

Need to bake like 100 cupcakes in the next 2 weeks and I am just looking for some advice. Any help would be great.

Thanks

2 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:19am
post #2 of 3

I had to purchase a new oven for my new shop. It had the convection option in the oven. I thought I would use it, but I don't. I only use the 'Bake', option, not the convection option. When I worked in the bakery, we only used a convection oven for muffins, cookies and croissants. We did this to get a crisper crust and high rise on the muffins. All other baked goods, Pies, cakes, breads, danishes, etc... went into a regular oven.

I am not well educated on the Convection vs regular oven. I only know what works for me and I will not use the convection option in my oven for my cakes. I used it this past weekend for some cupcakes to get the rise on them. They got the rise, but they got too toasty brown for my liking.

I hope this helps,
tokazodo

CubanoPete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CubanoPete Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your reply. I will try to do some testing with my oven. I guess they are all different.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%