Gold Highlighter Dust

Decorating By valcomer Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 1:03am by BlakesCakes

valcomer Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 9

what is the difference between non-edible gold highlighter dust and non-toxic gold luster dust?...why can one be consumed and not the other?

8 replies
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:13am
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by valcomer

what is the difference between non-edible gold highlighter dust and non-toxic gold luster dust?...why can one be consumed and not the other?




I honestly do not think there is a huge difference. Both are non-toxic and neither are food products.

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:15am
post #3 of 9

I believe that hi-lighter dusts, both silver & gold, contain some actual base metals (not real gold or silver, but other colored metals) that are definitely not edible.

Rae

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:17am
post #4 of 9

I'm not sure what the difference is, practically speaking, between something that is non-toxic, non-food and something that is non-toxic, non-edible, and non-food....???

Carlachef Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:19am
post #5 of 9

hmmm, I've been using the highlighter for years, haven't killed anybody yet, I don't think. I sincerly, never knew there was any difference other than the color of the highlighter being much brighter. Though, I think the high... must be 24kt so is consumable. I'd be interested to read others responses.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:32am
post #6 of 9

(Uh oh. I sense a "wires-in-the-cake" style discussion coming up.....)

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:33am
post #7 of 9

You can buy edible 24K gold, both leaf & dust, but it's outrageously expensive.
It's certainly not the stuff marked "hi-lighter/highlighter" in the pot that costs less than $10.

RAe

valcomer Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:50am
post #8 of 9

i am just curious because i read alot across the internet that you cant eat gold highlighter on your cakes but you can gold luster dust?..some say eat one not the other, some say neither, am really confused..its seems 50/50. some say use it for decorations on your cakes but tell people who are going to eat your cake to remove it before eating...i would feel stupid doing that..heres your cake....demolish it before eating?

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:03am
post #9 of 9

Hi-lighter dusts are for use on items that will definitely be removed before serving and shouldn't be consumed. For whatever reason(s), it's been marked as such for years. Kill ya', no, but there are edible alternatives that may not be as shiny, but can be used on things that may/will be eaten.

Luster dust is non-toxic. It's not edible because it's not a food product.

Crystal Colors (sugarpaste.com) makes pearlized gold that is completely edible, FDA approved, and Kosher. More expensive, but.....edible is edible.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%