Should I Try This?!

Decorating By rosestevo Updated 19 Jun 2011 , 9:11pm by jenscreativity

rosestevo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosestevo Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, So I had this idea for my boyfriend's birthday cake, and I'm wondering if anyone has done anything similar....or if you think this would be a massive disaster:
The theme is a hot tub cake (two sugarpaste figures sat in a hot tub.) THEN I had an idea that i could make the 'water' out of jelly (jello). Then I thought jelly goes with icecream.... so I should make the actual cake an icecream cake.

So my current plan is to make a icecream cake. Scoop out a 'pool' on top of the cake (the size of a bowl). Cover the icecream cake with white modelling chocolate, and chocolate fingers for the wood on the outside of the chocolate. make my jelly in the same size bowl that I cut out of my icecream cake, then I can just put my jelly into the cake right before serving.

1. Massive storage issues. Fridge or freezer?
2. How would the sugerpast figures cope with having unset jelly poured on them up to their waists?

I'm thinking that i might just go with a regular cake and fondant, but this would be SO COOL if it worked! (and if it didn't we could just eat jelly and icecream!)

What do you reckon?

Rosestevo

4 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 5

debbie brown has made a hot tub cake in one of her books. When i tried to use jello and fondant didnt hold up for me.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 5

jello will melt the figures, (speaking from experience) so do that last minute.
I'm thinking that the jello and modeling chocolate may be an ok combo because of the fat content, its not going to melt like fondant would.

Not sure about the rest, I would assume the cake would have to be in the freezer.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 5

have you tried isolmalt over ice? That would make the bubbles without melting...

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 5

I wouldn't suggest jello at all..maybe isomalt or piping gel..but jello and fondant don't mix..sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%