Piping Is Harder Than It Looks...duh

Decorating By amygortoncakes Updated 25 Jun 2011 , 4:02pm by jennifercullen

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 16

So I have been decorating for nearly a year now. Took the Wilton's Buttercream Class, but haven't done much with it except for frosting my cakes. So when I made my latest cake which is a Woody cake, I thought no problem I can just pipe on the red stripes and call it a day.

Can I say that last night after I had scraped it off for the third time not only was I ready to smash the cake, but just quit. LOL. It was a long day. We went to the fair and I left decorating to the last minute, which made it more frustrating.

So to those of you that have cakes with piping detail on them, I give you credit and bow down to your skill. And in the future I will just roll out little red fondant snakes for the shirt...LOL.

15 replies
jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 16

I second this haha. I started cakes in march and for my second one did a piped cake but found it really hard! I haven't bothered since... its something that I really need to do more to practice I guess! doing it flat is not too bad but trying to do the sides of the cake is a nightmare! I have seen some amazing piped designs on here and just think how on earth do they do that! I really take my imaginary hat off to people who can do these beautiful designs And make it look so effortless!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 16

I agree, it is harder than it looks. I've been trying to do some piping, even if it's really simple, on every cake I make for the practice. It gets better with each cake icon_smile.gif.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

Can I say that last night after I had scraped it off for the third time not only was I ready to smash the cake, but just quit.

Did you quit or did it work on the 4th try?

(I hope you meant that you procrastinated and went to the fair first, rather than needing the cake FOR the fair leaving the decorating to perform in front of a crowd. That would have been frustrating!!!)

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 16

I find it hard too , the only cake I really spent piping on nearly killed me ! (in my gallery )Thought my hand was going drop off , it was bright red and sore . Turned out on reflection that my icing was too stiff . I am going to give it a bash again soon. icon_smile.gif

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 16

But you see, likewise, there are some of us who bow down to the fondant experts!! I am clueless!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 16

Would you invest ons of $$$ to learn how to play an instrument not touch it for a yr, then expect to pick it up and play THE most beautiful song ever?

It takes practice, Practice, PRACTICE icon_smile.gif
Nothing comes easy to those who do not put effort into it.

kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 16

Would you invest ons of $$$ to learn how to play an instrument not touch it for a yr, then expect to pick it up and play THE most beautiful song ever?

kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 16

Sorry for the double post ... got a 'debug' notice and didn't realize it has posted anyway.

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 16

Saw a good quote recently: "Winners lose more than losers. But they also win more than losers because they stay in the game." Stay in the game!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 11:13pm
post #11 of 16

Glad to see that I am not alone. I think I am going to try and pipe something on every cake from here on out just for practice. That was a great idea. Thanks.

I went to the fair first, and planned on the kids staying asleep through the night which didn't happen so I was piping at like 1 am. I finished...its the Woody cake I just added today. Not horrible, but I can see where it is messed up.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 6:39am
post #12 of 16

Cute cake!

It looks like the vertical lines went down smoothly and the horizontal lines (that overlap the verticals) kept breaking. How would you describe the problem during piping? If the lines tended to curl, you might have a tip with a seam that caused it. If the lines simply kept breaking, the icing could have been too thin and droopy from adding the amount of red food coloring, or too airy. (The latter isn't very likely, because as the red food coloring is added, the air is usually whipped out.)

I'd try "drawing" it on the cake more with a heavy pressure rather than trying to keep it delicate (as in drop stringwork) for overlapped piping.

jennifercullen Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:04am
post #13 of 16

I probably would have just given up on piping and used the extruder to make the lines... the thing is for me, doing it on top of a cake is difficult, but not too bad, but doing it on the sides is all but impossible. I saw a tilting turntable on a website the other day which I think I may invest in to make it a bit easier.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:19am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

well said thumbs_up.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:31am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercullen

I saw a tilting turntable on a website the other day which I think I may invest in to make it a bit easier.

If you search this site for reviews on turntables, you'll find that others don't recommend the tilting one for many reasons. The reviews far from equal an investment for that choice. You could save the money and prop a towel or book underneath the base of the turntable you already own.

jennifercullen Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 4:02pm
post #16 of 16

Aw I have to say I'm disappointed then but I guess using a book is easy! Thanks for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%