Maybe It's Just Me But............

Lounge By Christina1207 Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 4:20pm by Texas_Rose

Christina1207 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 16

First i have to say I really enjoy Cake central it gives me plenty of ideas and helpful hints. When I first joined I was able to post a question in forums and would get tons of answers. I am not the type of person to ask a question without trying to find the answer on my own. No offense to anyone but it seems here lately that you'd be lucky to get more than 3 replies and often it's 'Google it' or ' look on YouTube'. That's fine and dandy but if I found my answer on either then I won't have posted my question on here in forums. I know I can just not post my questions in forums and i won't be annoyed but it's just a shame. Just my little rant that has been building for some time now. I won't be surprised if I am kicked off CC for this post. If that is the case thank you to all those who have inspired me and have given me advice.

15 replies
CWR41 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina1207

When I first joined I was able to post a question in forums and would get tons of answers.

...lately that you'd be lucky to get more than 3 replies and often it's 'Google it' or ' look on YouTube'.

Sorry that you feel that way.

Maybe there are fewer active people with answers on here at your disposal since they aren't paid to give advice 24/7. (You might need to give it more time.)

Maybe they're tired of answering the same or similar questions. (Especially when a "Thank You" doesn't always follow.)

Google and You Tube are great resources. What did you do before the internet? (Many of us HAD to figure it out on our own, or through trial and error.)

Good luck.

Christina1207 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 16

I never said that I assumed people were on here at anyone's disposale I know they r not paid to answer questions. Yes google and YouTube r great resources but when I have already tried to find the info I seek not did not find clues. I am not saying I expect tons of replies in a day. But when weeks go by and the only response is google it. Then it was a waste of time. Most of my questions before posting in forums I look to see someone else has asked the same thing. I don't have the money to waste on trial and error cakes. I'm a self taught baker so I don't have many friends in the industry that I can ask advice for. I give it plenty of time for people that can help to answer.

Jess155 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 16

I rarely post any questions. I think I've posted 1 - maybe 2. The thing is, I read what's on here everyday. I have pretty much all of my questions answered just by reading other people's posts and figuring out how I can apply that to my cake. People get tired of answering the same questions that a person could figure out on their own. I can't say I blame them. They aren't here to hold my hand through every step. I'm not saying that's what you're expecting, I'm just saying that's my experience.

As far as wasting money on ingredients. I hear you icon_smile.gif I make a batch of basic buttercream and then divide it between 4 or 5 bowls. Then I can add different things (like pudding, cookies, jam, etc.) to each different bowl. That way I'm making 5 different buttercream, but not big batches for each one.

AnotherCaker Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:

First i have to say I really enjoy Cake central it gives me plenty of ideas and helpful hints. When I first joined I was able to post a question in forums and would get tons of answers. I am not the type of person to ask a question without trying to find the answer on my own. No offense to anyone but it seems here lately that you'd be lucky to get more than 3 replies and often it's 'Google it' or ' look on YouTube'. That's fine and dandy but if I found my answer on either then I won't have posted my question on here in forums. I know I can just not post my questions in forums and i won't be annoyed but it's just a shame. Just my little rant that has been building for some time now. I won't be surprised if I am kicked off CC for this post. If that is the case thank you to all those who have inspired me and have given me advice.

So, did you Google your question first? A really good way to search for answers in here, is to actually go to Google first and under advanced search options, limit the results you receive to www.cakecentral.com

CWR41 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:

I never said that I assumed people were on here at anyone's disposale...

I know... I said it. It's true, it's a sharing site--give advice/take advice. There are many people available with knowledge and experience that are willing to share, all for free, at your disposal. I'm glad you're utilizing it and perhaps you'll also be able to contribute. I wouldn't get discouraged if you don't get answers... no advice at all can be better than poor advice, so if nobody knows the answer--maybe you can share your findings along the way to help others.

Quote:

Then it was a waste of time.
I give it plenty of time for people that can help to answer.

If you feel as though asking is a waste of time, and others feel that answering is a waste of their time, then there's nothing to gain from being here. Evidently, no one could help or those that could don't read every thread. You can give up or keep asking until you get the answer you want. I feel like there haven't been many people on here lately that are asking enough questions (maybe they figured it out on their own or are too afraid to ask, IDK.)

Quote:

If u know how to deactivate your account on cc please let me know.

Just stop logging on and visiting the site. You can select to stop watching the threads that you've posted in, if you no longer want to receive email notices for updates, but I don't see how leaving solves your problem for not getting answers... somebody might reply and you'd never see the response.

AnotherCaker Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:

Not sure if yall have done it this way. What i did was type baby footprint in goggle images and just choose and pick which ones you like best. Then resize it if you need it bigger or smaller...............it has worked for me.

Just found this reply from you in another forum. Google much?

Beansss Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 16

I haven't gotten the response to google something, but I understand why you feel frustrated from it. I would too...

*hugs*

Christina1207 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 16

Anothercaker yes I check google before asking for help. I said google cause that's because I found what they were looking for on google. If I had found it somewhere else then I would have told them where to find what they were looking for. I didn't just put down google it which I have gotten a few responses.

CWR41 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:00am
post #10 of 16

I don't know why you deleted your comment about deactivating your account, or where your post went where you replied to the first three of us who responded (it was a nice post... I love it when I'm told that I'm 100% correct!). icon_smile.gif

I think it's great that you were able to contribute your findings in the other thread. thumbs_up.gif

Christina1207 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:45am
post #11 of 16

Because I can..... simple as that. Have a nice evening.

CWR41 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:45am
post #12 of 16
Quote:

Really? (You might consider deleting this one.)

You give a compliment, I give a compliment, then you choose to reply with a snarky, impolite comment.

I think I know who to choose to not waste my time with any longer.

Mamasan Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 7:57am
post #13 of 16

I have spent more time reading and searching on this forum than I have asking questions and I learn something new ALL the time.

Now if I can just figure out how to retain it all, lol! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:10pm
post #14 of 16

I'll be honest and say I have replied with a google it before. If it is something that I think could be found via google, why should I go search it for that person. One of the more recent ones I can think of was questions about how to make an animal in fondant. I suggested they google it looking for clay tutorials, as a suggest to open up the search outside of the box of just cake stuff.

I have many of times answered a question with several links that I searched for that answer their question, plus much more and sometimes don't ever even get a thank you. So there are days were I will be honest and say, "Hey have you tried searching it?" Because not everyone does. Because there are many people out there that don't bother with it. Because there are some (and I mean some in a very general way) that expect others to do the work for them.

I love the cake related message boards because they are a great way to get help and advice and learn new things. But at the same time, I think they also have caused people to stop experimenting as much as they use it. There are many things that you can do, that don't cost a lot to try and see what happens. And trial and error leads to new ways to do the same things, something that might be easier, or something that comes out with a new and different look.

warchild Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:

Wow, for a minute I was feeling bad that you were having a hard time getting the help you were seeking, and was going to offer what I did when I needed help. Not anymore. thumbsdown.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:20pm
post #16 of 16

Sometimes questions are too specialized and no one knows the answer because they've never tried to do whatever you're trying before.

The other reason questions get ignored is when they're the same questions that have been asked ten thousand times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%