My First "sticker Shock"

Decorating By heather208 Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 2:04am by heather208

heather208 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 9

icon_rolleyes.gif oh boy.....well it had to happen eventually. I realize my prices may be somewhat lower than what some people charge (ok alot of people) but I used to charge waaaaay less before I got on CC.
So I had this lady email me Wednesday asking if I could make a "lego" cake for Monday for 20 people for her sons birthday and did I have any ideas...because she had none. Luckily I don't have a terribly busy weekend, so I emailed her that I could and that I had a couple ideas. Told her 40.00 for a cake that looked like one big lego with "happy birthday" etc. or 60.00 for one that looked like it was being built out of little legos with little edible lego men etc. Never heard back....
So. I emailed her Friday afternoon stating that just fyi, I needed to know by Sat. at 6pm if she wanted the cake for Monday. Still no email back. Well I guess grocery store cake with plastic toys on top it is...... icon_biggrin.gif
This is the first time this has happened to me. Everyone else has glady paid the asked price and even tipped msot of the time. Oh well! lol

8 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry, few are really willing to pay a fair price for a cake. A LEGO cake with that much detail is a bargain at $60.

Tips? Even when I got one it might be about 1% of the price of the cake.

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get the order. It sounds like it would have been a LOT more trouble than it was worth.

Michele

heather208 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 9

I wish I could charge more....but I don't think I could get more than 3.00/slice around this area....but at least I make a little on each cake. It is crazy to me that people will spend 20.00 on a crappy little 1 layer grocery store cake but balk at paying 40.00 for a fresh made decorated cake....

HappyCake10609 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 9

I agree, $60 for a cake that looks like it's built out of lego's is a great deal! I did one for my cousin and thought "oh, just a bunch of colored strips, no biggie" but it was tedious! I had agreed to do it even though I was doing a wedding cake for a friend that weekend because I thought I could whip it out in no time... I ended up spending more time on the lego cake! I was still really new to decorating at the time, and could probably do it faster now... but that is still a lot of detail for $60... it sucks not to make the sale, but after all the time you'd put into it, it may not have been worth it!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 9

You were offering a VERY good price! lego cakes aren't easy and you'd have spent a lot of hours with little payment at that price. I recently did a Lego cake and it took a LONG time. it's just the same old scenario sadly that a lot of people just don't realise how much work goes into a cake like this so they can't understand the price behind it

snshin1993 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 9

I just made a lego cake (in my pics) this weekend and I charged 90 dollars and my cousin didn't bat an eye. Infortunatly, it cost me about 50 bucks for ingredients but I just wanted her son to have the cake he wanted.

MimiFix Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather208

icon_rolleyes.gif oh boy.....well it had to happen eventually. I realize my prices may be somewhat lower than what some people charge (ok alot of people) but I used to charge waaaaay less before I got on CC.
So I had this lady email me Wednesday asking if I could make a "lego" cake for Monday for 20 people for her sons birthday and did I have any ideas...because she had none. Luckily I don't have a terribly busy weekend, so I emailed her that I could and that I had a couple ideas. Told her 40.00 for a cake that looked like one big lego with "happy birthday" etc. or 60.00 for one that looked like it was being built out of little legos with little edible lego men etc. Never heard back....
So. I emailed her Friday afternoon stating that just fyi, I needed to know by Sat. at 6pm if she wanted the cake for Monday. Still no email back. Well I guess grocery store cake with plastic toys on top it is...... icon_biggrin.gif
This is the first time this has happened to me. Everyone else has glady paid the asked price and even tipped msot of the time. Oh well! lol

There could have been other reasons why she never replied. Maybe she didn't need the cake (family illness, friend offered to make a cake, etc.) and she didn't feel the need to let you know.

vtcake Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 9

Are Lego cakes legal to make regarding copyright? I'd like to know for future cake orders.

heather208 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:04am
post #9 of 9

Not sure....but I am guessing as long as you don't put "legos" on it you are ok considering there are fake lego toys....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%