R2D2 Cake Help

Decorating By tami517a Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 8:56pm by tami517a

tami517a Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a R2D2 cake for my nephews birthday and I would love some tips from members who have made one. There are some really great examples in the gallery and I would love to hear how they were made.

I have found templates for the details but want some direction on how to get the right scale. I will be using 6" pans but how high does it need to be to make the proportions look right?

I will cover it with MMF and do the details in fondant. The cake recipe I usually use is too soft to stack so high even with dowels. What is a good firm cake?

Any advice you have will be welcome. Thanks!

4 replies
Erika2000 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 5

I use the WASC extended recipe that has sour cream and pudding in it - great firm cake - just replace the white cake mix with whatever flavor you want to make and add extracts accordingly. My suggestion on the stacking is to use a center pvc pipe system. I recenty made a Dr.Suess cake with the hat and had issues during delivery with my support system because I stacked 6 - 6" rounds. Even though I doweled every two layers, it still wanted to slide. That was it for me. From now on, if its over 4 layers, it's getting the center pvc pipe.

tami517a Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Erica. I was just looking at that recipe. Can you tell me more about the pvc structure? They live about 1 1/2 hours away so it needs to be sturdy!

HappyCake10609 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 5

I think the 2nd cake I made was an R2D2 cake... I found this blog very helpful (Mine didn't come out nearly as well, but I was still extremely a newbie)

tami517a Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 5

I have that bookmarked! It does show the process really well, doesn't it. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%