Your Favorite Small Fondant Flower?

Decorating By rpaige Updated 19 Jun 2011 , 2:59pm by rpaige

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I need to practice making small little "filler" fondant flowers. Do you have a quick favorite? I see some lovely little flowers on a lot of your cakes but I just don't know the specific names of the flowers to google them. Can you suggest a simple flower that would also have an available tutorial somewhere or the tool I would need for the practice? I do okay with the larger roses, callas etc. but I need little flowers for more variation and pops of color!

There is one that is so pretty - maybe four or five petals and each petal is pinched to a point at the end????? It almost looks like a star?

Thanks for the help...

3 replies
HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 4

Here is a link for some little generic flower blossoms (I'm not botanically inclined and don't know the names for a lot of flowers!)

http://www.duskyroseveiners.co.uk/page_427689.html

you don't need any special cutters, just a knife and/or scissors... you can make stephanotis the same way, just pinch the ends and elongate instead of making the petals wide.

rozben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozben Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 4

my favourite is the Gypsophila (baby's breath) so easy !
Roll out gum/flower-paste thinly and cut with any tiny scalloped cutter. (five petalled plunger cutter will do) Using a scalpel, cut each petal in half. On a firm surface dusted with cornflour, roll rounded toothpick back and forth around edge to frill. Brush centre with edible glue/water ( not much) and insert hooked 30g wire. Pinch dough together around hook. (I found it easier to let the centre petals dry before adding another row) Add as many extra rows as you need to get the fullness required for each flower. Make 3-5 flowers of varying sizes per sprig. Dust base apple green.
(I use green wire and paint on a calyx with green food dye to match the wire.)
For buds, use tiny white stamens made especially for baby's breath,
or I do it the royal icing way, use small pieces of hooked/crimped 30g green wire and dip the crimped end in royal icing. When dry paint on calyx as for the blossom.

or the star one your thinking of could be the Stephanotis, aka the wedding flower, they do have 5 peaked petals, and the way I make them is the pulled flower way, there probably is a cutter out there now, haha and the same way kinda for the Bouvardia, and they have 4 peaked petals
HTH you

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 4

We are having storms and I have no idea if I just sent a reply by accident when the electricity flickered ! LOL

Stephanotis or wedding flower was exactly what I had in mind! Good to know that I don't need to purchase any more special tools. I need to expand my abilities and the smaller flowers were challenging me. I must not be very delicate or nimble because I kept tearing everything up and just tried to avoid the small flowers altogether.

I can't wait to get started practicing. I am just having way too much fun!

Thanks! Any other tutorials or suggestions are always welcome - please send them my way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%