Freezing/thawing Cakes

Decorating By JenTwirl Updated 19 Jun 2011 , 2:10pm by leah_s

JenTwirl Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:22am
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake next weekend. I have already baked all of the cakes, and they are currently in the freezer (properly wrapped). What is the best process to thaw them? I have read several different things and I am kind of confused. I have read that you should ice your cakes while they are frozen. I have also read that you should completely thaw your cakes before icing them because condensation will not be a good thing. I have done this one other time, and I iced the cakes while they were still frozen. I did notice that the icing really soaked into the cake as it got to room temp. and I had to add a few additional layers of icing. What is the best process to go by?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
cakesrock Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:27am
post #2 of 5

If you are covering the cake in fondant, then you should let it completely thaw before you do your crumb coat. If you try to put fondant on a frozen cake, you can get air bubbles or blow-outs.
Once you do your crumb coat, you stick it back in the freezer for 10 mins, then apply the fondant. I actually freeze fondant covered cakes all the time and they are fine.

nancyg Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:49am
post #3 of 5

cakesrock,
I have 2 questions. When you freeze a fondant decraated cake...How do you pkg for freezing and how do you thaw.

And I tried to put a fondant decrated cake in the fridge for a couple days...and the fondant melted.

Is there a way to keep a fondant decorated cake inthe fridge? or jsut the freezer???/

cakesrock Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

cakesrock,
I have 2 questions. When you freeze a fondant decraated cake...How do you pkg for freezing and how do you thaw.

And I tried to put a fondant decrated cake in the fridge for a couple days...and the fondant melted.

Is there a way to keep a fondant decorated cake inthe fridge? or jsut the freezer???/

I put the fondant decorated cake in a cardboard cake box( or my preference is a large cake/tupperware-type container). Then I cover it in 2 garbage bags, pushing as much air out as possible. I have frozen for 6-8 wks and you would never know it. But I also use WASC and choc WASC as my stand-by cakes, generally, which are very moist cakes. I thaw it on the counter for 3 hours or so and don't touch until it is completely dry (it will be tacky to the touch at first). But I generally use non-perishable fillings. If it's perishable I thaw in the fridge for 24 hours or so. I live in a VERY dry climate, though.
If I keep a fondant decorated cake in the fridge, I keep it in a plastic cake/tupperware containter. The fridge tends to dry cakes out. I would only keep it in there for a day or two (MAX). They say not to freeze RI decorations or painted cakes, but I've frozen everything and had no problems. HTH &Good luck!

leah_s Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 5

I pull the frozen cakes (already torted), fill and wrap with plastic wrap, weight them and give them settling time. I try to left all of them settle overnight.

Then the next morning ice and fondant if I'm using fondant, which generally I am not. Decorate. I never refrigerate a cake or freeze it after it's decorated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%