French Vanilla Cake Recipe

Baking By SillyJacs Updated 17 Oct 2013 , 2:34pm by johnbailey64

SillyJacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillyJacs Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:00am
post #1 of 15

Hi, does anyone has a recipe they recommend for french vanilla cake? It can be box or scratch. I have looked on the forum and in the recipe section but didn't find anything. It has been awhile since I have been on the site so I may just be rusty at searching. Thanks.

14 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 6:37am
post #2 of 15

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
2-3/4 cups flour
2-1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 TBS pure vanilla extract

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 15

I'd would be curious as what the difference is between vanilla and french vanilla, other than it is the name of a cake mix. I don't use mixes, but would like to formulate a french vanilla recipe.

cbiscuit85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbiscuit85 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 15

French vanilla flavor usually means the vanilla flavor is stronger and contains vanilla beans instead of just extract. Like french vanilla ice cream is richer than regular vanilla ice cream and has vanilla bean flecks in it.

What I would do is use a recipe like the one sweettreat101 posted above, but substitute vanilla bean paste for the extract, or use 1-2 tsp extract as the recipe says, but add the pods from a vanilla bean as well. HTH

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 15

I should have done an independent research first instead of asking, sorry.

What you describe as french vanilla I call vanilla bean cake and not French vanilla. So because I disagree with this assessment of French vanilla I decided to check it out. And sure enough when doing a quick research I find that french vanilla is cake or ice cream made with a custard base or more egg yolks, not ben a paste instead of vanilla extract. In fact one site said the bean seeds are filtered out to take out the specks.

So if you want french vanilla then substitute and use 2 egg yolks for each egg requested. But be careful, this will change the cake making a bit richer than a cake made with whole eggs.

cakeandparty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandparty Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 15

For what its worth when I worked at Starbucks when someone asked for "french vanilla" we would do half vanilla, and half hazelnut syrup. The combo is really interesting, much more vanilla than hazelnut. Try it in a latte its yummy.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 15

This is the recipe that the bakery I worked for used as their go-to wedding cake, or basic party cake. I use it now and everyone loves it. I think the flavor is very much like a vanilla wafer... I thought of that the other night when I tasted the trimmings off a cake I did.

It's so easy. Betty Crocker French Vanilla Cake mix
Prepare as directed (I recommend sifting the mix first) then add a heaping 1/4 tsp of Cream Bouquet extract. That's it. The Cream Bouquet adds just a touch of citrusy flavor that sets it apart from any other and makes the cake taste like a scratch cake. A little goes a long way. HTH!

SillyJacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillyJacs Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the replies. These are all very helpful. I believe I am going to try the last suggestion using the Creme Bouquet just so I can try Creme Bouquet.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:48am
post #9 of 15

Mccormick makes a FRENCH VANILLA FLAVOR. That might make a differnce in your cake batter.

ladybug1976sr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug1976sr Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 11:14am
post #10 of 15

I tried the recipe listed above this weekend and got complaints that it was very dry. I am new to cake baking/decorating and my biggest passion is in making cakes that not only look great but taste amazing as well. I unfortunately won't be using this recipe again.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 11:39am
post #11 of 15

Use the WASC recipe..switching out French Vanilla coffee creamer for the liquid and only 1 Tablespoon of  French Vanilla extract. 

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 11:39am
post #12 of 15

Sorry...forgot..also buy the French Vanilla cake mix.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:44pm
post #13 of 15

I use the WASC cake recipe all the time. I also always use the French Vanilla (Duncan Hines) when I make this.  I like adding some vanilla bean to my recipes also. I normally use vanilla and almond extract when I make the WASC.   I make my own vanilla extract, so my family and/or friends know, there might be black specks.  

sandratime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandratime Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 15

I had already put all the ingredients in to make the french vanilla cake and then saw your response that it was dry; so, I put one box of french vanilla instant pudding in the batter and it turned out really good.  Everyone loved the cake.

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 17 Oct 2013 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 15

My 'go to' or I like to call it my signature cake is Duncan Hines French Vanilla. I add an egg and a aplash of Creme Bouquet flavor. Everyone LOVES it. It is very moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%