How Much Should I Charge For Covering A Cake With Fondant.

Decorating By joyfulreverie Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 2:03pm by cakification

joyfulreverie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfulreverie Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:58am
post #1 of 4

My question is actually:

I need to know how much I should charge (in Canada) for a cake that has been baked by the customer but she wants me to cover it with fondant.

It is a 14 inch cake. Anyone have a rough idea?? Please and thank you =)

3 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:30am
post #2 of 4

Maybe take the cost of the fondant and triple it. Or figure out the cost of the fondant, how much you want for your own labor, and how much you want for profit to make it worth it to you? Don't undersell your skills, they're asking you to cover it because they can't.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulreverie

My question is actually:

I need to know how much I should charge (in Canada) for a cake that has been baked by the customer but she wants me to cover it with fondant.

It is a 14 inch cake. Anyone have a rough idea?? Please and thank you =)

I would charge the same as you would for making the whole cake. Making and baking the actual cake is just a fraction of the cost of making a cake, not the largest part.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 4

Are you doing anything else to the cake after you cover it with fondant? Like decorations, painting, etc? Or are you literally just covering the cake with a piece of fondant and then handing the cake back to the customer?

Also, I'm not in business so I don't really know.. But i would think this would be some kind of health risk? If you are legal and your kitchen has been inspected, but your touching a cake that has come from an unlicensed kitchen? I don't know, but it sound odd.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%