Some Questions About Chocolate Candy Melt Transfers

Decorating By banananutmuffin Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 11:27pm by Marianna46

banananutmuffin Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 2

Hi! I'd like to do a chocolate transfer strawberry shortcake for my daughter's birthday. But geez... that little strawberry girl sure is detailed! I did a Homer Simpson for Father's Day because he seemed pretty easy, and it took me forever and just turned out so-so. I was hoping someone here might have a tip or two to help me out for my child's cake.

1. I have a really hard time getting my lines fine enough for an outline. I did discover with practice that it's better for the chocolate not to be too hot. But those of you who wait until it cools off a bit, do you fill your bag when it's hot and then wait for it to cool? Or can you let it cool off in the container that you melted the candy in, and then fill your bag? Or doesn't it make a difference?

2. Has anyone ever tried painting on the outline with a fine tip paintbrush? I suffer from shaky-hand-syndrome (not medical, just nerves lol). Makes cake decorating a challenge sometimes, but especially for fine lines. I'm not sure if a paintbrush would work or even be easier, but thought I'd ask.

3. It seems most chocolate transfers are outlined in black... but MUST they be? Can I outline Strawberry Shortcake's hair in red, her shirt in white, her hat in green, etc.? Or would that look weird? I just thought that by avoiding a black outline my crappy outlining skills might not be so obvious.

Thanks!

1 reply
Marianna46 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 2

A couple of suggestions. First, do you use an icing tip for these things or just cut a little hole in the tip of the bag? Using a very fine tip (a Wilton 1 or even finer) might help. I don't see a problem with outlining in other colors, but I'd suggest you do a little test patch first to get an idea of what it looks like. Also, if you would rather not outline, you could try those edible ink pens, but you'd have to be careful not to break the chocolate once it cooled. I wish you the best of luck with this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%