What Are The Chances...

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 11:29pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 3

Today I did a baby shower cake for a church shower I attended myself. After the cake sat at room temp for about 3 hours, a huge air/blowout occurred on the top, 6" tier, which I had to puncture (deep, it was under the buttercream and fondant) and press back down, though the fondant was still tacky from humidity. Even after I deflated it, it continued to slowly fill with air a bit longer.

I have had this happen to me before at a cake I did for a church function.

So...that's not super great odds. So I feel sick thinking maybe this happens to all my cakes???? However I've never ONE time had a customer write me to complain or even ask about it.

What are the odds its happening without people noticing or caring? Would I be hearing complaints if its a regular occurrence, do you think? I'm starting to freak out here...

The only thing is, both times this happened was when I used a noncrusting icing under fondant. For orders, I have been trying lately to use a crusting (more stable) icing under the fondant, although in the past I gave my customers a choice and was allowing them to choose the noncrusting, until I changed that recently. So I dunno if its the buttercream, or just bad luck, or what.

I really truly hope my customers have not all been getting cake blowouts.....

2 replies
Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 3

Just read something about that last night. Check out Leah_s' post @ 12:34am. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=721979&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30
thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! Although I don't think Leah fridges her cakes so that means mine may involve sitting at room temp so I may have to work something out with that....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%