How Do I Make A Giant Cupcake Without The Shaped Pan?

Decorating By amytracy1981 Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 6:44pm by Rosiepan

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 3

Hi eveybody!
So I was wanting to make a giant cupcake cake for my nieces birthday. I don't want to spend $30 for the giant cupcake pan and I dont really like the way the top of the pan looks anyways. Can anyone give me any help on how to carve one myself? Also any ideas on how to make the cupcake liner? I have seen alot on here that used candy melts to make the liner but I live in AZ and the cake is for August and it is 110+ degrees here in August and I have to drive this cake a half hour to my SIL's house. Last year the buttercream on the cake I made got a big bubble in it after a while from the heat (yes I have air in my car too). So I am thinking candy melts wont work for me.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

2 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytracy1981

Can anyone give me any help on how to carve one myself? Also any ideas on how to make the cupcake liner?

Decide how many servings you'd like, bake the appropriate size rounds, and carve the tapered shape.

For the liner "look", use a cake comb vertically on the buttercream.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 3

I made one using a 6ich round tin and a pudding bowl. I covered the six inch round(didn't taper) with fondant and used a paint brush handle to indent the cupcase creases and turned over ao top was on the bottom Then I tapered the sides of the top cake and put cuttings on top to give a higher point and then crumb coated it. I then put a thin sausage of fondant around it and then covered in fondant.
This may help you too.
http://www.thecakerator.com/2010/05/carved-non-novelty-pan-giant-cupcake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%