Help! How Would I Make This A Turtle Cake

Decorating By MollyHammond Updated 19 Jun 2011 , 1:22pm by HappyCake10609

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 5

I want to fill a chocolate cake with caramel, pecans, and hot fudge syrup. How would I go about doing this and what order would you do it in. I think I have to make a dam, right? Will it gush out since I am filling it with mostly liquidy filling?

4 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 11:27am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyHammond

I want to fill a chocolate cake with caramel, pecans, and hot fudge syrup. How would I go about doing this and what order would you do it in. I think I have to make a dam, right? Will it gush out since I am filling it with mostly liquidy filling?

Even if you construct a dam, if your filling is too runny, you run the risk of it soaking into the cake completely. I have filled cakes with runny fillings before but the cake was sealed off with ganache first so that the filling would not soak into the cake at all.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 5

Most HF sauces I have seen are rather solid when cold. They must be heated to beecome runny so make sure you have a solid dam and pour away, then chill the cake icon_smile.gif
For the dam I'd use a fondant rope - can't get much more solid than that.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

For the dam I'd use a fondant rope - can't get much more solid than that.

Or cake ball stuff (the mixture of cake and frosting used to make cake balls). I use that a lot for dams when the weather is hot.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 5

When I make my turtle cake (and it's a family favorite), I layer ganache (made with semi-sweet chocolate), then sprinkle on some toasted, chopped pecans and gently press them into the ganache, then pour/spread dulce de leche which is a little thicker (or at least you can make it thicker if you cook it longer) than just caramel sauce. I do this combo between each layer of cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%