Becoming A Professinal Cake Decorator

Decorating By verticalvirg Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 10:35pm by verticalvirg

verticalvirg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verticalvirg Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 4

I'm just wondering how one becomes a professional cake decorator? Are there courses to take somewhere? Must one receive specialized training in order to be qualified? I'm a novice, I've only taken a couple of the Wilton classes. I've seen a TON of beautiful cakes on CC, and I've just wondered how in the world all you wonderful, professional decorators have gotten where you are today! Please share your stories, as it would help me know how I may be professional myself one day. Thanks!

3 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 4

Practice, practice practice icon_wink.gif
I buy books, dvd's, watch you-tube videos and of course here on CC you'll get tons of advice.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 4

Professional just means you earn your living from that occupation (and you don't necessarily have to be good at it). It's just your job.
There are those who can't improve with any amount of practice... you can't always teach an old dog a new trick.

There are those who can produce professional-quality work as a hobby without it being their profession. They either have the talent (with or without classes), or have the ability to improve with practice.

Big difference between professional and good. To be a pro--get a job doing it or teaching it. To be good--have the passion and ability to improve, and an eye for attention to details.

verticalvirg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verticalvirg Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your replies. I'll just keep practicing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%