Melvin Eats The Cake

Decorating By nashsmom Updated 15 Mar 2005 , 4:56pm by MrsMissey

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 4:08am
post #1 of 19

I was making a chocolate sheet cake with peanut butter frosting, which I was almost done decorating for a birthday. My older son called and needed a ride home, so I left the cake on my turntable and out the door I went to pick him up, took me about 10 minutes at the most. When I got back, there were little tongue marks all over part of the cake. Melvin icon_evil.gif , our cat, had licked off part of the frosting on the cake. icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gif I guess he couldn't resist the peanut butter frosting! We call that one the cake that Melvin got.

18 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 4:11am
post #2 of 19

That's so funny!!! icon_lol.gif You need to make Melvin some peanut butter cat cake treats LOL!!! icon_surprised.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 4:40am
post #3 of 19

Oh my!!! My babies aren't allowed in the kitchen, which is impossible for those with the open floor plans. When we house hunted, I firmly wanted a house with a closed kitchen and got one. My poor kitties are just convinced the mother load waits beyond that door!!

nashsmom Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 19

I believe their thinking is correct when you look at what Melvin found in our kitchen! LOL!

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 19

Mine did not try to eat it-he just walked across it AFTER it was ready to be picked up!! It was covered but my son saw the kitten imprints throught the plastic-thank goodness I was ready the 2 nights before-at least I had time to fix it!! He has never (that I am aware of but watch closely now!!) been on my dining room table-I put it there because I had to have the room in my kitchen to finish a wedding cake. My son moves out in a couple months and the kitten goes with him!

nashsmom Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 4:32am
post #6 of 19

Ahhh, just got to love our animals! Nash got 6 cookies last night. I had them on the island in the kitchen cooling and she just put her paws up there and ever so gently took one at a time until my husband caught her!

Hershey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hershey17 Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 4:49am
post #7 of 19

Just recently I was baking a cake for practice purposes,and just before I got a chance to frost it,my brother's dog somehow got a hold of it! icon_mad.gif
I had to mix up more cake batter and wait another half hour for it
to cool!I wasn't the happiest person right then but I did end up making one of my best cakes! icon_smile.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 19

where can i find this peanut butter frosting recipe?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 19

i found it!! one problem, i am allergic to milk products, is there anything i can substitute for the cream?...or can i omit the cream?

nashsmom Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 4:36am
post #10 of 19

The recipe I used is from the Cake Mix Doctor. Alot less milk (3-4 tablespoons), and I used that to frost the cake, then I used regular buttercream to decorate (before Melvin got it! icon_mad.gif ). I would think you could substitute any lactose free product in the Cake Mix Dr recipe since it calls for such a small amount. I am not sure about the other recipe, since it calls for 1/3 cup cream. Can I post a recipe from a book like that? If so, I would be happy to post it for you.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 11:28am
post #11 of 19

we have two show beagles... at least they were show until about 4 years ago, we didnt trust anyone to show them other then our breeder, and our morons (the dogs) won't listen to us on the show floor. Dont get me wrong I love these dogs but they have been such a pain since we got here in Germany... not used to leashes to go potty and such, but when I do my cakes anymore I keep them away because the last time they were out while I decorated here's what happened....
I made a chocolate cake for my husband, and my 4 year old took out our stepstool and put it by the counter so he could "see" and left it there. I didnt think anything about it, but had to run in the back because of my other two sons being loud (and in an apartment style home ugh!)anyway, when I came back Queenie was standing on the stool eating the cake. looked at me took one last chomp and ran, yes I ran after her spanked here and stuck her in her cage.... a few hours later..... she hadnt gotten sick in her cage. So when i pull my pans out and if they are in the kitchen she jumps the gate and goes to her house, and then her brother Bubba follows her...she doesnt want to get in trouble again, and he doesnt either.

nashsmom Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 11:35am
post #12 of 19

LOL! At least yours don't seem to want to get into trouble anymore. I know that Nash & Melvin would do it again in a heatbeat if they got the chance!

flayvurdfun Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 19

who or what wouldn't when you have great goodies like that around????

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:22pm
post #14 of 19

I have been fortunate so far! I have 3 furry friends..Onyx (my Rott-my sweetheart!), Chevy (my Lab) and Lucky (my Jack Russell)...and I know one of these days they will get to one of my cakes! My Rott is sooo big that he can walk by the counter and eye things up, but hasn't touched anything yet though! Keeping my fingers crossed! icon_rolleyes.gif

flayvurdfun Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:24pm
post #15 of 19

Mrs Missey, I have seen a huge Rott here on base in Germany, and I can't imagine having one without giving him what he wanted.. icon_lol.gif no seriously my hats are off to you three different breeds in the same house... I can't handle the two beagles we have here!! icon_razz.gif

MrsMissey Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:27pm
post #16 of 19

LOL!! I laugh and call them my triplets, since we have no children!!

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 3:33pm
post #17 of 19

I have enjoyed the stories. No horror stories yet, I'm still a newbie. I'm sure they're coming. icon_biggrin.gif

nashsmom Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 4:43pm
post #18 of 19

MrsMissey, my Nash is a Rott also! How do you keep up with 3 dogs in the kitchen?!

MrsMissey Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 4:56pm
post #19 of 19

Are Rotts the greatest or what??!!! Mine thinks he is a 140# lap dog!! I am totally paranoid about hairs so I am constantly wiping down the kitchen and vaccuum every morning before I start! My dogs pretty much lay on the sofas in the basement or work on thier tans (haha) outside when I'm working in the kitchen! They are such good boys!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%