How To Make A Full Sized 3D Blue Crab Mold For Chocolate

Sugar Work By JeniBCakes Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 1:34pm by dchockeyguy

JeniBCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeniBCakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 2

Help! My daughter saw a picture of a cake that looks like a bushel of crabs. She is getting married in Aug. and wants me to make a cake like it as a surprise to her fiance for the groom's cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

I haven't found a crab mold that does 3D crabs so I was considering making one with CopyFlex. Does anyone have any suggestions how I would do that? Could I use a real (steamed) crab as the model and cure the silicone in the frig (so the crab doesn't stink)? Or I thought of buying a figurine crab, but how would I get all the legs out of the mold??? Should I do it in parts?

If you can't help me with making the mold, maybe you can give me a better idea??? (maybe whoever made a cake like this will see this and tell me how they did it??? icon_biggrin.gif )

THANKS in advance!!!

1 reply
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 2

The cake she saw is likely one done by Fancy Cakes by Leslie in Bethesda, MD. She's rather famous for that cake style.

That said, you'd need a LOT of copyflex to make that mold. Dominic, in the Make Your Own Molds section, would be better able to tell you. However, it should be possible to do without a problem. But I do think it might be cost prohibitive unless you plan to make them a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%