Do You Ever Feel Overwhelmed?

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 6:56am by handovertheasparagus

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 9

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of information that is out there about cake decorating? Products? Recipes?

I was just saving another recipe and I thought to myself that I probably have about 200 cakes that I want to try, why save 1 more? icon_smile.gif

8 replies
SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 9

Yep, right there with ya. There are so many cool tips that I want SOOO badly to remember, but I know in a year when I will actually need it, it will be gone. Wish I could make and decorate cakes in my sleep. (actually I sometimes do, but it always ends up being a nightmare, so maybe I'll retract that wish.)

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBeth3

Wish I could make and decorate cakes in my sleep. (actually I sometimes do, but it always ends up being a nightmare, so maybe I'll retract that wish.)

Haha! Right there with ya on that one!! It can be quite overwhelming, but one thing I taught myself, once I find something I really like be it a recipe or technique for decorating, I leave it alone. If it works for me, why mess with it? There were always be new recipes, techniques, and gadgets. I have all my basic recipes now, so the only time I get to try out new ones is when they are requested!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 9

Not about information or products, but definitely about recipes...

I worry that I'll never be able to get to them all...

I fantasize about taking a month off of everything in my life just to cook & bake every recipe I've collected...as time passes, I worry that a month isn't long enough, LOL!

sccandwbfan Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 9

Well, I keep a book that I write down every tip that I ever come across that I think would help, but hardly ever remember to look at. icon_sad.gif I've been going back and reading it during down time hoping that the repetition will make it stick in my head. icon_smile.gif

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccandwbfan

Well, I keep a book that I write down every tip that I ever come across that I think would help, but hardly ever remember to look at. icon_sad.gif I've been going back and reading it during down time hoping that the repetition will make it stick in my head. icon_smile.gif

I started doing that same thing about a month ago. Alot of it is stuff that I have read and forgotten 2 or 3 times, so who knows, maybe writing it down will help me.

sccandwbfan Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 9

Hope so, Sarabeth, it always helps me.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:36am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccandwbfan

Well, I keep a book that I write down every tip that I ever come across that I think would help,

That's really a good idea, I think I should start doing that too thumbs_up.gif

handovertheasparagus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handovertheasparagus Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:56am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBeth3

Yep, right there with ya. There are so many cool tips that I want SOOO badly to remember, but I know in a year when I will actually need it, it will be gone. Wish I could make and decorate cakes in my sleep. (actually I sometimes do, but it always ends up being a nightmare, so maybe I'll retract that wish.)

Oh my goodness! I dream about cakes...and the funny thing is that when I wake up sometimes I think, "oh, I really need to make that cake!!" But sometimes they DO end up being nightmares...being chased through the forest by murderers, but having to stop every few feet to add a petal to a rose... haha.

I do feel overwhelmed! I work in a grocery store bakery as a cake decorator, but started doing cakes at home for friends and family that are far more creative! I see so many things I would love to try, but I do get overwhelmed and discouraged sometimes... How hard is it to branch out on your own when you are self taught?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%