First Time Making Fondant

Decorating By jenabbott00 Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 2:35pm by Bettyviolet101

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 4

So I tried to make fondant for the first time. I thought it should be kind of glossy looking but it doesn't and it almost seems dry. I wrapped it in plastic wrap to sit on the counter till tomorrow. I really want to make my daughter a really cool cake for her birthday next month and want to start practicing with fondant so I can perfect on it by then. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 1:01am
post #2 of 4

Fondant isn't shiny by nature. It's more matte. But once you've covered your cake in fondant and put the decorations on, there are several things you can do to bring up a nice shiny finish. The first thing is to remove as much of the powdered sugar or cornstarch that you used for rolling as possible (and it helps not to be turning your fondant over from one side to the other as you roll it!). You can use a soft pastry brush for this. Then you can either 1) put a small amount of shortening all over it; 2) steam it with a clothes steamer - not too much, just like with the shortening a little goes a long way; or 3) paint it with confectioner's glaze, which you can get at cake supply stores. Best of luck with this and I hope your cake turns out just like the one you have in your head - fondant is one of the most rewarding things to work with in cake decorating, in my opinion, but it might take a little practice to get just what you want.

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much! We shall find out later today if it works out! icon_smile.gif

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 4

Yeah steaming works really well. I got a little one and it works great. Just don't go too close and like Marianna said a little DOES go a long way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%