How To Make White Icing Appear A Bit More Ivory

Decorating By vickym Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 12:44am by sweettreat101

vickym Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, hope this is in the right place, sorry I am a newbie. I am doing cupcakes for a friend wedding and she has just asked if I could do a small cake for the top tier and decorate it with roses. Unfortuantely I havent got the time to prepare the cake for her ontop of everything else so we have agreed that she will purchase a plain small white iced cake and as I already have made some roses for another party I am doing I can use those roses for her wedding as the colours are the same. Unfortunately the only cake she can get is iced in white and her colours are red and ivory, so what I wanted to ask was is there any way of dusting the cake or something similar to make it appear more ivory than white or would you think that the white would look ok. The ivory roses that I have made are very pale ivory not cream and there is not much in the actual colour difference. Any advice most appreciated as I am new to all of this and learning as I go along. Vicky xxxx

5 replies
Marianna46 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 1:07am
post #2 of 6

I think I'd try mixing a tiny bit of gold luster dust in with some super pearl and dusting with that. But I'd try it first on a small sample - this isn't something I've done, I'm just brainstorming. Either that or you could ice over it with some of the same icing you used for the cupcakes - that probably wouldn't take much longer than brushing it with dust, and it would be much more even. Actually, I don't even know if you can put dusts on buttercream (is that what you're using?) and have it come out even.

leah_s Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:26am
post #3 of 6

You'd probably need to airbrush it if it's bc. However, if the wedding is in the evening and there is candlelight, everything will take on a golden glow anyway,and the color difference probably won't even be noticeable.

vickym Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 7:42am
post #4 of 6

thanks for your replies, the icing on the cake that my friend is buying is like the ready rolled fondant that you can buy it remains fairly soft on the cake. On the cupcakes I am using pale cream buttercream. Its the rolled fondant icing that I wish to alter in colour. I have some of that type of fondant so I will give the gold/super pearl lustre dust a go and see how that works. Unfortunately the wedding is an early start 11.50am at church and the bride wants the cakes set up in time for everyone getting to the reception venue and I am not sure of the lighting inside the venue. Many thanks for taking the time to help I will post back how I get on with the gold lustre dust xx

vickym Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 6

Hi just to update, I mixed a very small amount of gold lustre with white petal dust ( I didnt have any of the super pearl lustre) and it has worked the icing definetly appears more of a subtle ivory rather than a bright white. I just added a very small amount of gold to start with then increased the gold until I achieved the ivory that I wanted and am very pleased with the result, plus it will give a lovely lustre finish to the cake too making it sparkle in the light. Many thanks for all your advice it is most appreciated and has saved me the headache of having to actually either make the cake from scratch or recover it with ivory icing. xxxx

sweettreat101 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:44am
post #6 of 6

I purchased Oyster luster dust for the Ivory cake I made a couple of weeks ago.

Quote by @%username% on %date%