Tips Or Recipes On Getting Pink Or Blue Cake

Baking By Lindsram Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 8:09pm by Elcee

Lindsram Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsram Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 7

Making a wedding cake for my friend who is finding out the sex of her baby that week. So I want to make a cake pink or blue whatever the baby turns out to be. I've read about adding kool-aid, jello, or food coloring. For some reason I'm really nervous about this. If you have any personal experience to calm my nerves I would really appreciate it. Also I'm looking for complimentary fillings. TIA!

6 replies
TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 7

I'm in the midst of doing this right now. I had a couple order cake balls with the same thought in mind. Blue for a boy and pink for a girl. Since it's a girl, we settled on strawberry cake and I just added in some paste food coloring to make it even pinker. If it had been a boy, I'd have probably done a white cake and just added blue.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 7

i found this...
a strawberry filling or raspberry filling would be good.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100127220615AABLYFP

KatieKraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKraft Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 7

I personally love adding jello and pudding mixes into my cake mix now.

My grandmother, who passed away many years ago, used to make a strawberry cake that my dad is in love with and he asked me to make it one time. My mother gave me the recipe and I was surprised that it was insanely simple and delicious. It called for strawberry jello (as well as fresh strawberries) added to white cake batter. No additional liquid, just add the jello right in. The cake was very pink and very delicious.

I got a wild hair the other day to make (experiment with) a lemon flavored cake, so I whipped up a white cake mix and added lemon instant pudding mix and some sour cream and that was also delicious. My sister cut into it and started chowing down before I could even get it out of the pan.

I'm sure there may be a more technical way (or less taste altering way) to achieve colors but if you're worried about the taste/consistency of using jello or pudding, I wouldn't. But, I like a more moist, dense consistency so I may be a little biased. icon_wink.gif

I have never added food coloring to cake batter, but I imagine it would probably work too. I use condensed, gel, food safe colors to cut down on the amount of extra liquid being put into whatever I am coloring and it works very well. I have no trouble making black blacks so I have to imagine it could work for pinks and blues in batter too.

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 7

I'm doing a tie-dye cake right now. I just made a vanilla cake, put it in different bowls, and added food coloring to each bowl. It's quite easy.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 7

I'm making a shower cake for a girl baby and I'll be swirling in some pink to the batter. icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 7

I use a little pink gel food color in the raspberry batter for my lemon raspberry marble cake to intensify the color a bit. One thing to keep in mind...I've found that the cake bakes darker than I expected based on the color of the batter so a little really does go long way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%