How Did You Build Your Clienteleand Advertise Your Business?

Business By queenamy Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 12:03am by mombabytiger

queenamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenamy Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 5

I'm starting a vegan cake business and i;m not too sure how to best advertise my goods....

i'll be making 8 dozen mini cupcakes tonight for a art gallery tomorrow.
im a little nervous!

4 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 5

Google "wedding websites", "wedding planning"...most of these websites allow vendors to have a free listing. Wedding Wire offers one of the best free listings you can get.

I pay $65/month for a listing on the knot. It has worked out great for me; especially since they now allow reviews to be left by brides.

Get a website and have it done by a pro if you don't know exactly how to do it.

Google page is great for my business (and free). Give everyone you meet a business card.

I have done really well at bridal shows, you may look into doing one in your area. If you only offer vegan recipes, this may not be the best way spend you money for advertising. I have only ever had 2 brides ask if I offer anything vegan (I do) but that isn't really something sought after where I live.

Are there any vegan restaruants in your area (specifically ones that have weddings and are looking for a bakery to recommend)?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 5

How far along are you with starting your business? If you already have a business license, an inspected commercial kitchen, and liability insurance you are ready to start advertising -- if not I would get that squared away first.

If you want to focus on wedding cakes there are wedding planners out there who focus on the vegan market, they would be great to network with. You also have another market out there for people with allergies to eggs and dairy (plus an even bigger market if you go nut-free), food allergy support groups in the area present additional networking opportunities for that market.

I run a similar business in northern CA (we also do nut-free and gluten-free) and most of our referrals come from Yelp, Google Places, and word of mouth. We did buy Google AdWords for a few months when we were first starting out, but we've spent virtually nothing on advertising since then.

BTW most people can't tell that well-done vegan cakes are vegan, the only real giveaway is that they are denser.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 5

Go and read some of the cake disaster threads. I have learned more from them than anything although I don't want to start a business. If you read about real 'disasters' and problems up front, there will be more that you will consider in your day to day operations.

That's what is great about CC, you can get advise about what to do when something does go wrong and apply it up front to lessen the chances.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 12:03am
post #5 of 5

I have a very large Facebook following. Almost all my orders come from friends and friends of friends on FB.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%