How Do I Colour A Fondant Drape Gold?

Decorating By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 2:16pm by KJF1985

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for a friend of mine who wants the cake to have gold and yellow (roses) accents. I have decided to make a drape for the cake in gold but was wondering, how do I paint it the shiny luster dust like gold and NOT get it all over the cake when I am ready to drape it?

I don't have an airbrush. I have 3 or 4 types of gold luster dust and the gold airbrush shimmer as well as a can of pearl spray. Would I maybe just colour the fondant regular gold by mixing the dust or airbrush colour with the fondant and then spray the entire cake with the pearl spray or should I paint the drape with the luster dust then attached to cake?

This is my first time making any kind of drapes and also making fondant roses so hopefully this cake doesn't turn out a complete disaster.

6 replies
xinue Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 7

I would paint the drape with the airbrush color once it is on the cake...

shannycakers Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 7

how would you keep the gold just onto the drape if you airbrushed it after it was on the cake., i have often wondered this, how to protect the cake while you airbrush small items on it? is it possible?

cakedout Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 7

Color your fondant a 'gold'/yellow with gel colors.

Roll out and cut the piece for your drape.

Mix your gold dust with vodka to a nice 'paint' consistency and paint your drape piece.

Fold and attach to your cake. Touch up with additional gold dust paint as needed.

To get an added depth to the gold- you can dry dust with the gold when the 'paint' is dry.

KJF1985 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 7

Do you want a really metallic gold or just a gold color?

I've used a gold glaze on "golden yellow" tinted fondant when I wanted a really metallic color. This is the glaze http://www.fondantsource.com/goedfogl.html

And here's how it turned out on my cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1989925

Since you just paint it on with a brush there's no mess or chance of it getting on the rest of the cake. If you don't want a really solid metallic gold then I'm completely out of suggestions. Haha. Good luck![/url]

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

Color your fondant a 'gold'/yellow with gel colors.

Roll out and cut the piece for your drape.

Mix your gold dust with vodka to a nice 'paint' consistency and paint your drape piece.

Fold and attach to your cake. Touch up with additional gold dust paint as needed.

To get an added depth to the gold- you can dry dust with the gold when the 'paint' is dry.

Thank you so much, I will attempt to do it this way. Can I use clear vanilla instead of vodka?

Thanks to all who gave tips. KJ your link was blocked but I looked at your pic is this is what I wanted the gold to look like. I am thinking of picking up some gold spray from Duff's just to fill in any areas that I missed.

Has anyone used this?

KJF1985 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 7

Oops, there doesn't seem to be a brand on it so I just linked to a place that sells it. Guess that's not ok. Anyway this is what it looks like. I preferred it to spray because it wasn't as messy.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CbUEkKpDL.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%