Butter Separating From Buttercream

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 4:01pm by LindaF144a

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 4

For the first time I have made about 22 quarts of buttercream ahead of time to save me some time on a wedding cake i am decorating today. I made it last night. This morning I awoke to little pockets of butter throughout my buttercream icon_eek.gif do i just remix?

3 replies
SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 4

That's happened to me before and I brought it back to close to room temp. and then remixed REALLY well and it eventually took care of it. One other time though it was the shortening and that didn't work so well. So maybe someone has a better or easier suggestion.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 4

The only time that happened to me was when it was too warm in my kitchen...if it's over 75 degrees, I either don't use butter, or I keep it in the fridge.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 4

Making 22 quarts for the first time can just mean that you did not mix in the butter well enough. Rebeating it to incorporate that butter should be fine.

The larger the mixer, the harder it is to completely incorporate the ingredients. In the shop I used to work at, the large mixer ran way longer than I would do it at home with a smaller amount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%