Icint Pulling Off Side Of Cake, Any Suggestions?

Decorating By newcakester Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 7:49pm by Shelly4481

newcakester Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 3

Baked, filled and let cake settle yesterday. Iced it yesterday using 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening recipe. Let cake set coverred at room temp overnight. Brought cake to work today for delivery and placed into the fridge just to be on the safe side. Now the icing is completely pulling off the side of the cake? Can't give any better description than that. It has pulled away on a large section running the entire height of the cake and is just a gaping hole. Icing is all still intact, but pulled away. Wondering if the cake itself got too cold in the fridge? Any help is much appreciated as my coworker is taking it home in a couple of hours.

2 replies
novice Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 3

The cake may have been too moist. Did you freeze it?

I had this happen over the weekend - icing slid down the side. I did 3 cakes, and this happened on two of them. Both were cakes I put in the freezer for 1 night (had to bake a day early because of my schedule), then let thaw for a day before starting to decorate. I even unwrapped and let them "dry" a bit before icing. Didn't help. I put on and took off icing three times on one of them. One eventually worked out, but the other never did.

Shelly4481 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 3

Years ago there was a thread about that happening. It actually happened to me too. We figured out that it was the shortening. At that time they just took out the transfat out of crisco. So had to change to a brand that had fat in it. Not sure if that is your problem but since I changed I haven't had it happen again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%