Pure White Cake How Do I

Baking By Rhonlynn Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 6:33pm by Rhonlynn

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 6

How do people get their cakes (the cake part), perfectly white? Even egg whites have a tone to them. What do they use besides clear vanilla or almond? Evev WASC wasn't pure white.

5 replies
elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 6

Try adding white food color. It works for frosting and fondant so it should work for cake.
Good luck!

Rhonlynn Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 6

Wilton makes it, I saw that the other day. I'll get some tonight. Great idea!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 6

Egg whites turn white when beaten, so the "color" (which I think there is none) turns to white.
Use shortening instead of butter and clear vanilla instead of real vanilla.

And Wilton does not make a white food coloring. They make a whitening agent. And it tastes nasty and IMO imparts a nasty flavor. I believe that if you bake with it in the batter that you will get a chemically cake. Also check the label and make sure you can bake with it just to be safe. I used it once and will never use it again.

IMO there is no such thing as a cake as white as you can get with frosting.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 6

Don't know if this will help or not, but I learned from my fellow cc'ers that adding a touch of purple food coloring will offset the yellow in buttercream icing (it really works!!) so maybe try that with your cake batter.

Also, I agree, the whitening agent is nasty, I added to a batter once and it gave the cake a really off flavor.

Good Luck!

Rhonlynn Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 6

So I was told by the lady who runs a cake supply shop. That stuff tastes nasty. So, I'll never use it in a cake. yuck.

I noticed, today, my hi ratio shortening also has an ivory color. It is by CK, and it is new. Doesn't seem to effect the white, cause of the powdered sugar, in Indydebi's recipe for frosting. So, if a cake recipe calls for egg whites, can they be beaten and then used?

I do use clear vanilla from Mexico, but I noticed, even it has a tint to it, but it's not noticed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%