Need Help Asap

Decorating By Alycat613 Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 8:32pm by DianeLM

Alycat613 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for a b-day tomorrow. I covered the cake in fondant and stuck it in the fridge (which I have done before). When I took the cake out it is starting to sweat and has a slimy film on the fondant icon_cry.gif . Is it because it is warm here (in the 80s and I do not have my air conditioning on). Is this ok? Will it stop? How do I fix it? Will it go away? Would it help if I turned my air conditioning on? Thanks for any help!!!

6 replies
DianeLM Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, the condensation is due to the temperature change. Whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH the cake!!! If you can place the cake in front of a fan, that would be ideal. Worst case, the condensation will leave drip and/or water spots.

Cake decorating in the summer is always a unique challenge. So many times I've wanted to just take my shingle down from May to September. Grrrrr!

Alycat613 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the help!!! Another question....when it dries and then I decorate should I put it back in the fridge? She is not picking up the cake until around noon tomorrow.

srkmilklady Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 7

Is there a reason you put it in the fridge in the first place? Do you have a perishable filling inside?

If I am keeping a fondant covered cake in the fridge, I will put it into a box first which helps with the moisture. The box will absorb it and your cake shouldn't sweat as much. But if it does sweat, just leave it without touching it and it will eventually dry as it comes to room temp.

Alycat613 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 7

There is not a perishable filling in it. I just figured with the heat and humidity that it would not be fresh if I left it out. I am a novice cake maker so not so sure. The cake was baked last night and she is picking up tomorrow around noon so would it be okay to leave out?

leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 7

You SHOULD leave it out. As a general rule there's no reason to refrigerate cake. (Unless it has a perishable filling.)

DianeLM Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 7

As the others have advised, leave it out of the refrigerator.

Refrigeration will actually cause your cake to go stale faster than leaving it out at room temp. That said, you should probably get the temp in your house down to at least the mid-70's. This will make handling the cake a lot easier and safer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%