Is Petal Dust Really Just Chalk?

Decorating By peetz Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 10:22pm by peetz

peetz Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 12

I bought some " petal dust" from a cake supplier off Ebay, it sure smells like chalk! And why if you are putting it on EDIBLE flowers would it say " non-edible" petal dust? ARG. really, chalk for $2.69. Was I just duped?

11 replies
tripleD Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 12

I have often wondered this myself. Kids eat chalk. Its marked non toxic.
I hope someone knows for sure.

jennifercullen Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 12

I haven't tried using petals dust yet so I wouldn't know... was it just this pot particularly or petals dust in general? It could well be a similar product! I think with some cake decorating things edible just means non toxic such as 'edible' glitter lol. Maybe compare ingredients online somewhere??

katnmouse Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 12

Yes, you can buy non-toxic artists' chalks and grind them up to create a wide variety of colors for petal dust. Just be sure what you are buying does not have the word "oil" in the description (chalk pastels and oil pastels are not the same thing).

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 12

If it says non toxic, that is not the same thing as edible. The idea behind non toxic is that you aren't really suppose to use it on things that would be eaten. It shouldn't hurt you, but isn't meant to be eaten. Elmer's glue is non toxic, so if a kid eats it, they shouldn't get sick, but it isn't meant to be eaten.

I can't say if the ones sold as cake decorating dusts are chalk, but you can take non toxic chalk and make petal dust from it.

There are companies that do make edible dusts. Wilton's dusts are FDA approved. There are also Crystal Colors, which are a powder food coloring that can be used as dusts, but also used for coloring buttercream, royal icing, fondant, gumpaste...

bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 12

I have used non toxic chalk for petal dust before, Michaels has a pack with tons of colors.

warchild Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetz

I bought some " petal dust" from a cake supplier off Ebay, it sure smells like chalk! And why if you are putting it on EDIBLE flowers would it say " non-edible" petal dust? ARG. really, chalk for $2.69. Was I just duped?




You might well have been duped if the dust came from ebay. I've been duped/ripped off by ebay sellers twice so quit dealing with them.
It's easy to grate kids coloured chalk into dust and jar it up. I've done it (grated chalk) myself for a few grandkids/grandma projects. Kids chalk is non toxic if that helps.

A lot of petal dusts say non-edible, but I suspect you'd have to eat a ton of edible flowers brushed with petal dust to ever get sick from it.

I'm not 100% positive but I believe the Wilton dusts you can find at Michaels and other hobby stores are edible.

warchild Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetz

I bought some " petal dust" from a cake supplier off Ebay, it sure smells like chalk! And why if you are putting it on EDIBLE flowers would it say " non-edible" petal dust? ARG. really, chalk for $2.69. Was I just duped?




You might well have been duped if the dust came from ebay. I've been duped/ripped off by ebay sellers twice so quit dealing with them.
It's easy to grate kids coloured chalk into dust and jar it up. I've done it (grated chalk) myself for a few grandkids/grandma projects. Kids chalk is non toxic if that helps.

A lot of petal dusts say non-edible, but I suspect you'd have to eat a ton of edible flowers brushed with petal dust to ever get sick from it.

I'm not 100% positive but I believe the Wilton dusts you can find at Michaels and other hobby stores are edible.

warchild Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 12

Sheesh, double post.. Sorry..

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild


A lot of petal dusts say non-edible, but I suspect you'd have to eat a ton of edible flowers brushed with petal dust to ever get sick from it.




Non edible and non toxic aren't the same thing.

Most dusts I've seen have said non toxic, and yes I've used them on cakes and no one has gotten sick. I do like that there are edible options out there and am working my way to switching over.

Non edible are usually the glitters.

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 12

If you use Crystal Colors as petal dust (sugarpaste.com), they are NOT chalk based. They're pure food colors. They are edible & non-toxic.

If you use other types of petal dust, they are non-toxic and most likely are calcium carbonate or magnesium carbonate based-----chalk-- with other non-toxic coloring agents.

HTH
Rae

peetz Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:22pm
post #12 of 12

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magenta-Petal-Dust-4-grams-Gum-Paste-Flowers-24-/200577908633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb35fff99

Here is the link. I am not so much concerned about the edibility of the product, I know that most chalk is not toxic, but the line at the bottom can confuse a person, " meant for gum-paste flowers and other NON-edible items" well last I looked gum-paste, although not tasty was edible.
My biggest beef it this may be just chalk and I paid WAY to much for it. Live and learn I suppose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%