How To Make Swiss Dots

Decorating By Lainie21 Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 4:50pm by cakification

Lainie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lainie21 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I have my first wedding cake and they want swiss dots on each tear. How do I space them out easily? What number tip should I use? Also, they want them to look like pearls, is there anyway to make them shiny?

Thank you

5 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 6

To do small Swiss dots you use a size 3 tip or so (If the dots are to be larger, use a larger round tip) and think of it as being in a grid with each row of dots being spaced exactly in between the dots below and with each row the same distance apart as the dots on the first row are from each other. As you do a few rows go back and lightly dip your finger in corn starch and lightly press the points in. To make them look like pearls would necessitate your butter cream being a good crusting one and going back with a fine brush and painting each dot with a mixture of pearl dust and lemon extract (or Vodka).

There are Swiss dot impression mats if you want to invest in one in order to press into the butter cream to get your spacing placement.

Just thinking, how big do they want the dots? If they want them a small (but not seed pearl size) or larger pearl size you could possibly make them out of fondant by either using a pearl mold and cutting them apart. Or,use a large round icing tip and cut out small circles on a thinly rolled out piece of fondant then take each circle and roll it up into a ball. This way all the balls are the same size. Either way, with the pearl mold or making the pearl balls, let them dry a bit and then put them in a bag with pearl dust and shake them around. To apply, use small dots of butter cream and place in the grid pattern discussed above. HTH

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 6
peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 6

Neat idea, but it seems that the dots would pop off periodically, would it be better to make holes where the dots go in the mat instead? I am going to make one today! I scrapped the idea of a diamond pattern on my last cake because I could not get the spacing right. this will work great.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 6

I think I would actually go buy some fish tank silicone glue(it's supposed to be safe) and make the dots. You can also use some transpancy sheets bought at an office supply store. I have read you can make all kind of impressions this way, espcially tracing letters. You can print out letters/words in mirror image then trace with glue on the acetate/transparency paper.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 6

On my last cake pic, I just used a flexible measuring tape and wrapped it around my tier, and pin pricked where i wanted the dots to go, that way I was sure they were perfectly spaced, and I just covered the pin pricks with my BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%